Chucking the City Life

I discovered a really great blog the other day. It's beautifully designed and the photos and writing are wonderfully vivid. But it's FarmGirl's story that captured my attention. 11 years ago she sold her California business and moved to a farm she purchased in Missouri. She now lives and works as a farmer, gardener, baker, and a whole host of other things. To me, her life in the country (challenging though it is) sounds idyllic.

Don't get me wrong. I consider myself a city girl at heart. I enjoy living close to theatres, restaurants, and shops. I like never having to drive or walk very far to obtain the things I need to keep my life running smoothly. But after reading her blog, I've realized that there are several truly wonderful things about separating yourself from everything that comprises our fast-paced consumer culture.

There's something especially gratifying in eating vegetables and fruits you've toiled over and grown yourself. There's something natural about bonding with animals in a place where they're allowed to roam free and be themselves, instead of being locked in a cage or a pen and put on display for others' entertainment. And there's something inspiring about making a living from something you've created, through hard work and ingenuity, with your own hands.

I won't be abandoning my life in a quasi-city anytime soon. I'd like to escape from the cube-dwelling drudgery that is my job and pursue my creative interests, but my mortgage won't allow this to happen. And I think if I moved too far away from a Starbucks, my body would plunge into an ugly withdrawl state. (Yes, I have a million excuses.) But I will visit FarmGirl's blog often (she's inspired me to try baking bread-my favorite food), because it is a mental vacation for me, and it's inspiring to read of those who had the courage, spirit, and energy to pursue their life's dream.

8 Responses to “Chucking the City Life”

  1. # Anonymous Anonymous

    Hi, Michele sent me :-)

    I planted a garden in my backyard last year...first time ever. It was small, just tomatoes, jalapenos, romaine lettuce, radishes, string beans & herbs...but, boy, I made some GREAT salsa. Yum!  

  2. # Blogger Farmgirl Susan

    Hi Kristi,
    Oh my gosh! What a surprise! I'm so flattered. A whole post about me! Well didn't you just make my day. Thank you! (Love the title.) I'm really glad you're enjoying my blog so much.

    P.S. Janet--three cheers for you and your edible garden!  

  3. # Blogger Marie

    Very cool, Kristi! Isn't it the coolest thing to peek into other world's without leaving your PC? ;-)  

  4. # Blogger eat stuff

    Farmgrl ROCKS!  

  5. # Blogger Carl V. Anderson

    Thanks for the recommendation, that's a great blog! I've lived in both the country and the city and right now live in a small Missouri town right outside of Kansas City. I have the best of both worlds in that I have a yard big enough to garden in and still live close to theatres, shops, etc. I like being able to look up into the sky and see stars and night instead of city lights but I too couldn't live far from the things that fuel my pop culture needs.

    A great book about a family moving from Chicago to a rural community is Bean Blossom Dreams by Sallyann J. Murphy. You'll have to get it used if you decide to read it, or at the library, but its a great book and well worth the read.  

  6. # Blogger Ramona

    Hmmm...Sounds like there is a little bit'o country yearning to get out of the city girl. First camping, now baking bread...what's next?! I'll definitely check out Farm Girl's blog. Thanks for the tip!  

  7. # Blogger Geekwif

    I've been enjoying Farm Girl's blog too. Her pics are inspiring and I'm making my way through her bread baking tips. DH and I are doing the same to a smaller extent. We live in the city now, but have purchased a 6 acre lot about 1-1/2 hours from the city where we are building a home.

    I can't wait to get out there. I can't think of any part of city life that would make it worth staying here, and we'll be close enough to stop in and take advantage of the cultural aspects of city life now and then.  

  8. # Anonymous Anonymous

    Nice post... Looks like flash memory is finally starting to become more popular. Hopefully we'll start seeing decreasing solid state harddisk prices in the near future. 5 dollar 32 gigabyte Micro SDs for your Nintendo DS flash card... sounds gooooood.

    (Submitted using Nintendo DS running [url=http://cryst4lxbands.blog.com/2010/01/31/will-the-r4-or-r4i-work/]R4i[/url] W3B)  

Post a Comment

Quick Snapshot:

  • 34-year-old writer and
    mother to a daughter
    born in August 2006 following
    IVF and girl/boy twins born in October 2008 following FET. Come along as I document the search for my lost intellect. It's a bumpy ride. Consider yourself warned.

  • 100 Things About Me
  • My Blogger Profile
  • Send Me an E-mail

  • "All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware." -Martin Buber

Inside My Suitcase:





Off the Beaten Path:

    XML

    Powered by Blogger

    Design: Lisanne, based on a template by Gecko and Fly