Hoagies and Grinders: What's for Lunch in Our Schools?

Back in the early 90s when SNL was in its hay day, my sister and I would stay up late and watch it together.

Adam Sandler's "Lunch Lady Land" was one of our favorites, and honestly, prior to last night when I was searching for this video, I hadn't heard the song in over a decade, and yet I still could sing just about every line of the chorus.

("Hoagies and grinders, hoagies and grinders. Navy beans! Navy beans! Navy beans!")

This SNL skit was really popular when I was in high school, a time when I spent my 25-minute lunch period (25 minutes in total to walk to our lockers, swap our our morning class books for our afternoons ones - we were prohibited from visiting our lockers between classes-get to the cafeteria, stand in line for lunch, eat it, and get to our first class after lunch, by the way) eating pizza and french fries. I brought more often than I bought, but when I did buy, pizza and french fries were offered every day, and that's what I ate.

I have a new post up on my blog for the health club about "Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution." In case you're not familiar with the show, Jamie "Naked Chef" Oliver is on a quest to overhaul the way Americans, and more specifically, American children, eat. He set up camp in Huntington, West Virginia, a city named by the CDC as "The Unhealthiest City in America" and is working to radically change the food served in school cafeterias there.

Some of you have already made your way over there and commented (thank you!) since I wrote about the post on Facebook yesterday, but I would love to hear what those of you who haven't yet read it think about the show, and about how you encourage your kids to eat healthfully.

Obviously, if you're a long-time reader, you know that nutrition and healthy eating is a big deal to me. I'm hardly a foodie (considering my own diet is embarrassingly almost-vegetable-free), but I'm determined that my kids won't end up like me. Hence my long-dead baby-food blog, my choice of organics for the kids, and my long-held desire to rob my children of their childhoods by keeping the sugar at bay whenever possible.

But I'm fairly certain that I'm a part of a very small minority. Most of my friends look at me a little strangely when they hear that Isabella has never eaten a chicken nugget, loves edamame, and has probably had juice about 10 times in her three-and-a-half years of life.

So, let me have it. Check out my post on the other blog and either in my comments section here or there, give me your thoughts on what your kids are eating at home and at school, and whether you think Jamie has a prayer of accomplishing what he's trying to do in Huntington.

I, for one, really hope he succeeds.

2 Responses to “Hoagies and Grinders: What's for Lunch in Our Schools?”

  1. # Blogger Mom24

    I think it's great to see how hard you work to do your best for your kids. Kuddos to you Kristi. Thanks for holding all of our feet to the fire.  

  2. # Blogger Jeni

    I too find a lot of inspiration in the message that Jamie Oliver is trying to spread. It's a cause that can benefit us all. Strangely enough it all ties into my hubby's work, whose program works to fund/encourage schools to adopt a healthier standard. He too appreciates Oliver's work though has been left frustrated by some of the fallout. A lot of Oliver's approach is the sensationalism in showing just how poor a job the schools are doing. Consequently when hubby's program comes in the schools are slightly more hesitant for fear of bad publicity. All the same goal, just a different approach.  

Post a Comment

Quick Snapshot:

  • 34-year-old writer and
    mother to a daughter
    born in August 2006 following
    IVF and girl/boy twins born in October 2008 following FET. Come along as I document the search for my lost intellect. It's a bumpy ride. Consider yourself warned.

  • 100 Things About Me
  • My Blogger Profile
  • Send Me an E-mail

  • "All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware." -Martin Buber

Inside My Suitcase:





Off the Beaten Path:

    XML

    Powered by Blogger

    Design: Lisanne, based on a template by Gecko and Fly