Pack It Up, Pack It In

So, the house.

When I last updated about our moving situation, we had received another full-price offer from the couple who put in an offer at the same time as Mr. Cash Deal. When Mr. Cash Deal went back to his wifey, my realtor went to the couple's buying agent and asked if they were still interested. Fortunately, they were, and even more fortunately, they put in the same offer they submitted before. We accepted.

The inspection took place two weeks ago. The inspector and the couple, first-time homebuyers, were in our house for 4.5 hours. We imagined them laying on our couch working their way through our DVR packed with Sesame Street and Caillou while their inspector was furiously typing up a list of no fewer that 437 things wrong with our house.

We waited impatiently to hear the inevitable news that we would have to sink thousands into a house that would belong to us for less than two more months. But the sun was shining on us that day. As it turns out, they wanted the air conditioner cleaned, the fireplace cleaned, and the damper replaced in the fireplace. Oh, and they also wanted the battery replaced in our programmable thermostat. I'm still scratching my head over that one. Grand total: About $500.00. Not bad, considering our house is 85 years old.

And speaking of our old but wiry little beauty, check out these unbelievable photos our realtor took. Considering the main living space of my house usually looks like this:



These? Are pretty darn incredible.



Even my tiny kitchen looks enormous.

As you might have noticed, the kid crap is mainly MIA. We are living out of boxes, and without more than half of our stuff. Isabella is down to a bare minimum of toys (although she recently received some for her birthday, so she's pretty content) and I cannot find a damn thing because mamacita has packed it all away. My mom came back for a week and a half and while I was glued to my computer immersed up to my neck in an intensive training program for my new online teaching gig, she packed my kitchen, my dining room, and my basement. Sometimes she's a wee bit crazy (for example, she told me I should keep Isabella out of preschool this year because of swine flu), but she's pretty darn awesome too.

We do not yet have a closing date, but we have our mortgage commitment. The appraisal on the house we're buying has been ordered, and the people buying our house need to have it appraised too. It's looking like we'll close in the beginning of October.
Then, it's on to this house:







In many, many ways I cannot wait. There is space in this house. I have felt stifled and claustrophobic in my current house since the twins were born. I am beyond excited to get them into their own rooms. I am over-the-moon about the 2.5 bathrooms in the house. And the kitchen is easily twice the size of my current one. This is the right house for our family.

But in other ways, I am in complete denial about the move. We love our house. We love our neighbors who have become our dear friends, and we love our neighborhood with its sidewalks, streetlights, and 100-year-old trees. Isabella is obsessed with our neighbors next door (more on this later). To leave this house and with it, all the memories we created here, will not be easy.

I plan on making a photo album for Isabella. In it, I'll place photos of her in her room, our neighbors, her friends in our neighborhood, and the special spots (two big boulders that frame one yard, the houses belonging to the dogs she loves petting and waving to) that she likes to visit along the streets surrounding our house. I'm hopeful she'll look at this album and remember her first house. I'm hoping she isn't sad about leaving behind the only house she's ever known.

I know that I won't be leaving without shedding a few buckets of tears myself.

15 Responses to “Pack It Up, Pack It In”

  1. # Blogger Mom24

    Oh my goodness the room! the room! Incredible. You will love it. I hate to tell you, but your current kitchen is much bigger than mine! I'll be supremely jealous of your new one.

    I'm so happy for you. What an exciting time. Yes, it is bittersweet too, but I have a feeling it will be much harder on you than Isabella. Here's to many new happy memories and wonderful neighbors at the new house.  

  2. # Blogger Christine

    As someone who lives in a 650 sq. foot trinity (one room on each floor) your current home looks positively HUGE to me, but then again, I'm not trying to raise twins there. The new house looks absolutely stunning. I'm hoping to lots more memories and great neighbors in the next place too.  

  3. # Blogger Chastity

    This is going to be awesome! Congratulations!!  

  4. # Blogger Tiki, Kirby, and StanLee

    Congratulations! The new place looks awesome!

    Tiki  

  5. # Blogger Jamie

    I love the new house!! Beautiful!

    I totally understand the sadness at leaving your old house. I feel the same way and miss many aspects of our old home. But most days, I just wish it would sell so we wouldn't have to pay two mortgages. :)

    *hugs*  

  6. # Blogger Hopeful Mother

    Wow. Both your old and new home are gorgeous.

    You will certainly have just as many new good memories in the new house as you have had in the old.

    I like your idea of scrapbooking the house/neighborhood for Isabella. I'm sure she will appreciate that!  

  7. # Blogger Veronica

    I'm going to miss your old house. It was so cute and I wish that I could have picked it up and moved it here.

    But the new house looks nice and spacious and I think you guys will be so much more comfortable.

    I'm so happy for you! I love new houses!  

  8. # Blogger tracey.becker1@gmail.com

    :) but :( . I loved our first home, too. But it'll be so nice to have that space!

    Good luck. hope it goes smoothly.  

  9. # Blogger M

    Your current house is precious! It reminds me of a cottage! Very cute. And you will love your new home! I get it though. When we moved from our townhouse that we built at a mere 23 years old, it was a bitter sweet. it was our first home that we lived the childless married life in. But it took no more than one night in our new huge house to not feel sad anymore. :)  

  10. # Blogger Debbie

    Both the homes are absolutely gorgeous! And the new place looks exactly like the type of house we're looking for. I love that style.

    Yay! But sad, too.  

  11. # Blogger Jesser

    I'm so glad things are looking up with the move!!! Yay!

    Now I have to say that I completely get why you want/need to move and your new house looks AMAZING, but I really love your old house too! I have wanted my own booth in the kitchen for a very long time. *swoooon* In any case, excellent luck to you. :)  

  12. # Blogger Mel

    oh man - I am in love with your old house. its absolutely stunning - I can see why it sold in a snap.

    That being said - even the most beautiful houses can lose their lustre if the inhabitants overrun the space SO I DO GET the move! I cant wait for you to move in and make it your own.

    Off to my breks for Hooli to the sounds of Diego....familiar at all?  

  13. # Blogger Unknown

    Those are incredible pictures, both of your old house and the new. Seriously, I'm thinking we should have moved to Rochester and purchased your old house, because it is SO much better than our current one. LOL!

    And the new house . . . lovely!  

  14. # Blogger Pregnantly Plump

    The new house looks great! We are hoping to close on our house by Sept. 16th. But it might take a little longer. We're hoping to get everything closed before Baby Plum arrives on Sept. 25.  

  15. # Blogger Holly

    I am drooling over your house!  

Post a Comment

Quick Snapshot:

  • 34-year-old writer and
    mother to a daughter
    born in August 2006 following
    IVF and girl/boy twins born in October 2008 following FET. Come along as I document the search for my lost intellect. It's a bumpy ride. Consider yourself warned.

  • 100 Things About Me
  • My Blogger Profile
  • Send Me an E-mail

  • "All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware." -Martin Buber

Inside My Suitcase:





Off the Beaten Path:

    XML

    Powered by Blogger

    Design: Lisanne, based on a template by Gecko and Fly