Baby's First Crush

It started innocently enough around Christmastime. We had given her a Clifford "lift the flap" book, and she would refuse to lift the flap under which his picture was displayed. She would make whomever was reading her the story lift that particular flap, and then she'd bury her head and refuse to look at him.

Soon after, she began to request Clifford episodes that featured him. And each and every time he appeared on screen, she'd grin and cover her face, or else she would turn completely around and bury her face in the couch pillow, turning shyly around only after her embarrassment passed.

At first we thought she was afraid of him, and then we realized that no, she most definitely wasn't afraid. It was something else.

Isabella has a crush on Mr. Bleakman.

In case you're not familiar with the world of Clifford, this is Horace Bleakman, Clifford and Emily Elizabeth's curmudgeonly next-door neighbor. A Jonas brother, he is not:



Clearly, my daughter has a thing for older men. Much older men.

Starting about a month ago, at the end of every naptime and bedtime routine, once we've tucked her in, Isabella requests both a story and a song about Mr. Bleakman. She chooses the plotline, and they are extremely elaborate. For example, "Tell me a story about Mr. Bleakman digging his pond, and then Clifford comes over and splash! splash! splash!, he jumps into Mr. Bleakman's pond and Mr. Bleakman is really, really mad."

And then, like a contestant on Whose Line Is It Anyway? either the hubs or I have to immediately come up with the story to satisfy her desire for all things Bleakman. The songs are the most difficult. Try coming up with a song based on Mr. Bleakman getting caught in a net on the beach (and yes, that was an actual request from Isabella just a few days ago).

The hubs and I have begun to tease her about her crush. "You loooove him, don't you?", we'll say to her, and Isabella smiles and tries to hide her face behind her hands. Sometimes she'll tell us to stop, and ever since we told her we're just teasing her, she now says, "Stop teasing me, mommy!"

But stopping the teasing is hard, simply because it's so much damn fun. Why have kids if you can't laugh at them every once and awhile? Her reactions are priceless, and we thought we'd have to wait at least 10 more years to tease her about the boys she likes.

I'm just hoping she doesn't bring home a senior citizen to meet mom and dad when she's 18 years old.

*********************************************************************

Check out my latest article on Root & Sprout, which shows you how to make healthier choices for your kids at fast food restaurants.

*********************************************************************

Finally, happy early Mother's Day to all my mom readers.

To those of you still waiting for your turn, I hope the journey ends soon.

11 Responses to “Baby's First Crush”

  1. # Anonymous Lis Garrett

    I nearly spit my Cheerios out when I scrolled down and saw that her crush is on Mr. Bleakman. HAHAHA! I was sure it was going to be on Emily's little boy friend (can't remember his name). Older men, indeed!  

  2. # Anonymous Ness @ Drovers Run

    What if it's a totally loaded senior citizen? By loaded I do mean stinking filthy rich. Wouldn't be too much of a hardship eh? Heh heh. I'm impressed that you guys whip out improv at bedtime, or at least have the energy to do it. I'm one of those moms that skips pages when she reads a story, or else makes up the ending, and says, "Ok, time to sleep now! Night!" and then beats a hasty retreat! :) I've been so tired the past week (looking after husband post knee operation) that once the kids are down, earlier in winter because it's dark - hee hee around 7pm, and my head is on the pillow and I'm OUT by 8pm. Unless it's Monday in which case I prop my eyes open to watch Greys Anatomy till 20h30. Or Tuesday to watch Ugly Betty till 20h30. Unfortunately I've been missing Desperate Housewives on a thursday, because it only starts at 20h30 on a Thursday, and I sheet you not, I'm UNCONSCIOUS by then.  

  3. # Blogger Mom24

    That's funny...and scary...and sad. You'll want to try to influence her taste in men for the better. ;-)  

  4. # Blogger Marie

    That is a riot! I'll never look at Mr. B. in quite the same way again!  

  5. # Blogger My Wombinations

    This is HILARIOUS.  

  6. # Blogger In Due Time

    Just wanted to stop by and wish you a Happy Mother's Day. ♥

    LOL @ your little flirt hehe!  

  7. # Blogger Veronica

    That is so freaking CUTE!  

  8. # Blogger Pregnantly Plump

    So funny! Little Elvis likes them older, but not quite that much.  

  9. # Blogger Damselfly

    Heh heh! Who would have guessed Mr. Bleakman? He's so grouchy.

    Reminds me I have been thinking about a post that details Fly's identification with the bad-guy characters and how it freaks me out a little bit.  

  10. # Blogger Shannon

    I just have to leave a comment here, Kristi. It's a couple of days later and this crush is still cracking me up! This might win an award for Most Random Crush Evah. It's super cute! Also, she will be mortified when she hits 12 years old and you decide to dredge up this information IN FRONT OF HER FRIENDS. Awesome.  

  11. # Blogger Yvett

    I found you through Jesser and I just HAD to comment. This is hilarious! You're daughter will be mortified of this later!  

Post a Comment

Quick Snapshot:

  • 34-year-old writer and
    mother to a daughter
    born in August 2006 following
    IVF and girl/boy twins born in October 2008 following FET. Come along as I document the search for my lost intellect. It's a bumpy ride. Consider yourself warned.

  • 100 Things About Me
  • My Blogger Profile
  • Send Me an E-mail

  • "All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware." -Martin Buber

Inside My Suitcase:





Off the Beaten Path:

    XML

    Powered by Blogger

    Design: Lisanne, based on a template by Gecko and Fly