Me Again

My night out was incredible.

I didn't realize until we were sitting at the restaurant table enjoying our food how truly relaxing it was to be able to focus on enjoying my meal and talking with my husband. No one was screaming or whining. No one was asking me to cut up their food into tiny bird-size pieces or to get them more milk, more Parmesan cheese, more bread, and no more broccoli. I didn't have to beg and plead anyone to please at least try the chicken, or have to cut my meal short because someone needed to nurse, or to be walked around the house in the Bjorn.

I liken the experience to a two-hour vacation, even though we were a mere 30 minutes from home, didn't pack a suitcase, and were sober the entire time.

We ate and ate and ate until we were stuffed. We had dessert, something we rarely do when we go out, and it was awesome. And of course, we brought home two slices of chocolate peanut butter torte for my two incredibly generous, selfless friends. Jenny and Kellie, thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!

The twins were...the twins. We put them to bed before my friends arrived, and just before we left, Luci woke up. So we left her to be rocked back to sleep (which ended up not happening until she received a bottle about an hour or so later). Nicholas slept until it was time for his bottle, so at least he was good for them.

This morning the hubs made pancakes, and afterwards I went for a run outside in perfect, sunny, 40-degree weather with The Smiths' "Sing Your Life" playing on my iPod.

And even though everything in my life went back to its normal insane state today, I feel more like me right now than I have in quite some time.

15 Responses to “Me Again”

  1. # Blogger Mom24

    I am so, so happy for you. See? She's definitely still in there. Here's hoping you can find that time again sometime in the not too distant future. Is there a college-aged girl you could hire for an occasional night out? It would be worth it.  

  2. # Blogger Veronica

    YAY! This is wonderful! I'm so glad you had a mini-vacation, sans anything that makes it a vacation, because it gave you a break.  

  3. # Blogger kenju

    Glad to hear it! Hope you get more of those nights out soon.  

  4. # Blogger Chastity

    Yay!  

  5. # Anonymous Ness @ Drovers Run

    I know exactly what you mean by a two hour vacation! Guys don't fully comprehend the precious quality of the 'me only' time. I mean seriously, them driving to work in their cars is me time - so they don't appreciate it as much!

    Glad you had a great time - and man, chocolate peanut butter torte sounds INCREDIBLE.  

  6. # Anonymous Lis Garrett

    Isn't it amazing how just a little time away from the insanity can recharge your batteries? Make it a priority. I'm so happy you had a great time!!  

  7. # Blogger Andrew

    The Smiths?!?!?  

  8. # Anonymous Anita Kaiser

    It's amazing how a small break can make a mom feel so refreshed. These moments are so very important and sadly we often push them aside. Wonderful that you had a great date and morning to follow!  

  9. # Blogger Jesser

    So glad it was everything you had hoped!!! You definitely deserve it. :)  

  10. # Blogger Pregnantly Plump

    That's great that you had such a wonderful night out. What amazing friends!  

  11. # Blogger In transit

    Hurrah!!  

  12. # Blogger tracey.becker1@gmail.com

    What a fun night! SOOOOO glad you got out!  

  13. # Blogger beagle

    So glad that you had that recharge time!  

  14. # Blogger Hopeful Mother

    Fantastic. Sometimes all we need is a change of routine and perspective once in a while to make the craziness a little easier to digest.

    Good for you guys!!!  

  15. # Blogger Damselfly

    Cool! Hope you can take a two-hour vacation more often.  

Post a Comment

Quick Snapshot:

  • 34-year-old writer and
    mother to a daughter
    born in August 2006 following
    IVF and girl/boy twins born in October 2008 following FET. Come along as I document the search for my lost intellect. It's a bumpy ride. Consider yourself warned.

  • 100 Things About Me
  • My Blogger Profile
  • Send Me an E-mail

  • "All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware." -Martin Buber

Inside My Suitcase:





Off the Beaten Path:

    XML

    Powered by Blogger

    Design: Lisanne, based on a template by Gecko and Fly