I'm Only Happy When It Rains

I'm a foul weather type of girl. I love rainy and dismal days, where it's so dark that it can be 2 o'clock and you're not sure whether it's 2am or 2pm. Thunderstorms are just about my favorite type of weather system (as long as my Internet connection stays on: Must.Have.Wifi.). Sunny days? Eh. Who needs 'em? The rain and the gloom are far more interesting, don't you think?

That said, when you're responsible for a very active toddler and you're living in a very small house that's already overrun with playthings guaranteed to occupy her for hours and ensure her eternal happiness (here's a newsflash: we marketing writers are excellent liars), the walls tend to close in around you, and often.
This is when I appreciate the days that don't preclude taking the party outside.
We've had several nice days here lately, albeit not in a row. So we've been outside a lot.
This is a water table. If you have a toddler, buy one now. Trust me when I tell you it will occupy your kid like nothing else will. Crack heads have weaker addictions than the one Isabella has to this table.


My friend Marie found this awesome tandem doll stroller, so Isabella could wheel around her own "twins." I'm crossing my fingers that she doesn't expect her brother and sister to have fur and webbed feet.


It's long been a dream of my daughter's to try out for American Gladiators. I've worked hard developing a training schedule for her, so four days a week, you'll find her practicing The Wall.



Isabella is all about the disappearing act these days. Hiding her face behind a pillow, crouching behind a table and then telling me she's hiding, and especially hiding her hands in the sand.



Swinging allows Isabella's comb-over to blow in the breeze, loud and proud.


And of course, what's (almost) summer without a little Ultimate Etch-A-Sketch?


But at the end of the day, Isabella is a word nerd, just like her mother. Her energy level may appear to be that of a toddler whose sippy cups are full of Red Bull instead of milk, but when all the outside fun and games are over, she likes to bury her head in the newspaper and bitch about the sorry state of the world we live in. At least we have this in common.

10 Responses to “I'm Only Happy When It Rains”

  1. # Blogger Jesser

    Hahahah. You've gotten some really cute shots. I love the ones of her on the climbing wall and standing on the etch-a-sketch.

    I love rainy days too. Mostly, I think, because we don't get to many of them here. So I can really appreciate. But I notice I'm not nearly as big a fan when I'm forced to go out. Rainy days are for books and tea and soft blankets, damnit. But after living in WI, I realized how important CO's 300+ sunny days a year are to me. I don't realize it day to day as much, but I need those days or I get really glum. And after a some crap weather, when the sun comes out, I just worship it ... ehhe.

    And that's way too much writing abotu the freaking weather. I feel really boring!  

  2. # Anonymous Anonymous

    HA! What a cleverly written post - love it! I just about snorted my cereal when at the mention of Isabella's comb over. HAHAHA! I shouldn't laugh, though; Hannah has THE worst cowlick (sp?) in front, masked only by the fact that her hair is long.

    Great pictures of Isabella! :-)  

  3. # Blogger Mom24

    Cute pics! She looks like she is so much fun. We're going to "hazy, hot and humid" the next 5 days or so...yuck!

    We got my grandson one of those water tables...I think I would get one for my 5 year old if I could score it at the resale shop--she loves to go to the neighbors and play in theirs.

    I loved when my kids went through the "if I can't see you, you can't see me phase". They honestly thought that if they were covering their own eyes, that we wouldn't be able to see them. lol.

    What do you mean all this crap lying around our house won't ensure them eternal happiness? Sheesh.  

  4. # Blogger Chastity

    I'm a sunny weather kind of girl myself, though I don't mind a little rain every once in a while.

    Great pictures! I must get a water table.  

  5. # Blogger tracey.becker1@gmail.com

    Cute pictures! I love both types of weather. You gotta love the break from the rainw hen the sun comes out and vice versa. Too much of either can be DULL! :)

    Corinne and Isabella have the same hairdo. I keep waiting for it to be truly long enough to tuck behind her ear...  

  6. # Blogger Damselfly

    I love that water table!  

  7. # Blogger Gal on the Go

    Love the new photos on the header of your blog page! If only I knew how to do that!  

  8. # Blogger Marie

    Too cute! I'm glad she likes the stroller... Love the new pics on top too!  

  9. # Blogger MsPrufrock

    I'm the exact same in regard to weather. I'm that weird person who wakes up to a sunny day and gets depressed at the notion of all that brightness. I guess it's good that I live in an English coastal town.

    Silly question, but Isabella standing on the Etch-A-Sketch reminded me - does she stand on everything, or is that just chance? P stands on every object which is in a position to stand on - books, clothes, laptop, etc. Drives us mad.

    I love the photos, thanks for posting them!  

  10. # Blogger Pregnantly Plump

    What great pics! As someone who is paler than pale, I used to prefer the rain. But since Little Elvis has decided that outside is the ONLY place to be, I'm changing my tune. I much prefer a dirty little boy to a muddy one!  

Post a Comment

Quick Snapshot:

  • 34-year-old writer and
    mother to a daughter
    born in August 2006 following
    IVF and girl/boy twins born in October 2008 following FET. Come along as I document the search for my lost intellect. It's a bumpy ride. Consider yourself warned.

  • 100 Things About Me
  • My Blogger Profile
  • Send Me an E-mail

  • "All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware." -Martin Buber

Inside My Suitcase:





Off the Beaten Path:

    XML

    Powered by Blogger

    Design: Lisanne, based on a template by Gecko and Fly