Almost (Sort Of) Famous

In the last few weeks, I've had two experiences that have made me realize that the blogging world is a small world after all. (Cue the music.) You might think you're blogging in a vacuum, and that only your handful (or many handfuls) of readers are checking out your site, and that the billions of people who can access your blog via search engines are refraining from doing so because no one gives a damn what you have to say.

No so, my friends. Not so.

First, the editors of the Skaneateles Talk website emailed me and asked if they could profile my May 2006 visit there on their website. A few days later, this nice little piece appeared on the site. Thanks, Cary and Christine.

And then yesterday, I received an email from a producer at Fox's The Morning Show With Mike and Juliet. They had found my guest post on kiddie spas over at Melissa's (apparently, if you type "kiddie spas" into Google, my post is ranked #2), and asked me to fly down to New York City tonight, all expenses paid, and appear in a panel on the show tomorrow to discuss why I'm opposed to taking little kids to spas.

I turned them down for a litany of lame reasons, including too short notice, childcare issues, a prenatal appointment on Thursday, fear of flying while pregnant, the fact that most of my family doesn't know about this blog, which would probably be mentioned on national tv, lack of anything even in the neighborhood of appropriate tv attire, and a gigantic zit growing on my chin.

This was an awesome opportunity for me to establish myself as an "expert" on the topic of why mani-pedis and facials aren't for little kids. My appearance might have parlayed itself into landing my writing in major magazines.

And.I.Turned.It.Down.

Believe me, the self-flagellation is already in full swing over here.

So instead of flying to NYC today, the city I love more than any other place in the world, I will be drowning my sorrows in vanilla soft-serve:





Don't think for one second that I haven't spent the last 24 hours trying to figure out how to score two.

14 Responses to “Almost (Sort Of) Famous”

  1. # Anonymous Anonymous

    Seriously, I don't think your reasons are lame. I would have had to turn it down, too, and I don't know many mothers who can just fly out on such short notice. It would have been nice had they given you at least a week. Don't beat yourself up about it. Another opportunity will come along. :-)

    PS - I probably would have turn down the opportunity for no reason other than I am terrified of actually talking to strangers in "real life!"  

  2. # Blogger Marie

    Wow! So cool, Kristi. I understand too... I have turned down a couple of things also, to maintain a low profile.

    Oh yeah, there's a LOT of googlin going on!  

  3. # Blogger Mom24

    Oh Kristi, I'm sorry you had to turn it down. I understand why you did it, but I'm sure it makes you crazy. At least you know you're "out there" so to speak, hopefully more will come your way. Hopefully paying things will come your way! ;-) Enjoy the ice cream. I vote for your getting two! LOL  

  4. # Blogger Jesser

    That's pretty cool that you were even asked! I would have been anxious about going into a situation where I didn't know the whole scoop too ... I would not like to have to defend my opinions on a topic like that in a forum like that. I'm better w/ pen and paper!!! Yikes.  

  5. # Anonymous Anonymous

    PS - I just want to add that I am suspect of anything on FOX. It's a network I can't really take too seriously.  

  6. # Blogger My Wombinations

    We already chatted about this, so you know my thoughts:) I hope that something like it is able to come your way again soon with more notice!  

  7. # Blogger Chastity

    Your reasons are legitimate. The flying would have kept me from it in itself. I love NYC too, so I see where you're coming from. Also, I desperately don't want "real life" people coming around my blog, so that would keep me away from that as well.

    Too bad the Baskin Robbins here is on the other side of town. I'd spend more in gas than it would have cost me to buy the cone. Enjoy it!  

  8. # Blogger Shannon

    I don't blame ya for not wanting to do it because the family doesn't know about it lol... my family doesn't know about mine either hehee... and on yeah the zit... I would of stayed home because of the zit too lol...  

  9. # Blogger shokufeh

    Check you out! You have some major resolve.  

  10. # Anonymous Anonymous

    Kristi, you're awesome! That's great news, even if you couldn't go.  

  11. # Blogger tracey.becker1@gmail.com

    So, I apparently need dto type "kiddie spas"on my blog, eh?

    VERY cool to be asked, though, isn't it?

    Oh, I think you should bring the ultrasound pics to the ice cream parlor. Definitely worth 2 cones!  

  12. # Blogger Damselfly

    As if I needed another reason to try to get pregnant...!

    Congrats on being noticed. I'm sure more will follow.  

  13. # Blogger Pregnantly Plump

    It's still cool that they asked you to be on a panel! And maybe, at some point when the timing will be better, you'll get asked to participate in something like that again.
    I hope you enjoyed your ice cream.  

  14. # Blogger sher

    Oh, I leave the TV on each day and Mike & Juliet come on. I would have probably injured myself shrieking if you were on. But, that's fabulous that they asked you. I've been thinking for some time that you should become well known, because you're such a great writer. So, this is just a forerunner of the attention that will come your way.  

Post a Comment

Quick Snapshot:

  • 34-year-old writer and
    mother to a daughter
    born in August 2006 following
    IVF and girl/boy twins born in October 2008 following FET. Come along as I document the search for my lost intellect. It's a bumpy ride. Consider yourself warned.

  • 100 Things About Me
  • My Blogger Profile
  • Send Me an E-mail

  • "All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware." -Martin Buber

Inside My Suitcase:





Off the Beaten Path:

    XML

    Powered by Blogger

    Design: Lisanne, based on a template by Gecko and Fly