Come Fly With Me

If you've been reading here awhile, you might have read a mention or two, or 1,500 of Isabella's long-standing strollerphobia. Here's all you need to know in case you're a new reader here:

She has hated it since she was about 8 months old. She writhes, she screams, she kicks, she tries to remove herself from it.

One of my goals from April was to find another way to get some exercise, since I quit running just before my FET. Oh running, how I miss you. PS: my lumpy thighs miss you too. I don't have a gym membership, and although I rented a Yoga for the Preggers DVD, I am ashamed to say I returned it to the library without ever having cracked open the case.

However, determined as I was to stay active and relatively in shape during my pregnancy (and now more than ever given that I'm going to resemble my own Macy's Thanksgiving Day balloon come November) I needed to find some way to get Isabella to enjoy taking walks with me.

Tempted as I was to start trotting her around the neighborhood in one of these



because secretly I've always wanted to reenact this SNL skit with my very own child



I decided instead to research wagons.

Thank you, Radio Flyer Pathfinder Wagon. Thanks to you, I may actually avoid having to be transported to the hospital to give birth on the back of a flatbed truck.

It didn't start off pretty. Isabella initially hated her wagon as much as she loathes her stroller.


However, with the minor additions of no fewer than 14 toys, 2 books, a sippy cup, and a snack, she's suddenly good to go.



And mommy is glad. Very, very glad.

11 Responses to “Come Fly With Me”

  1. # Blogger Jesser

    Those things are awesome. We have one for T (one of her like 8 stroller options - what? the girl has 5 grandparents ALL TO HERSELF) and she loves it too. I'm so glad you found something that works.

    Before we had kids my best friend and I swore to each other we wouldn't go the leash route, but 7 months into her second pregnancy when her first son was only around 18 months himself, she broke down and did it because she couldn't keep up with him any more and the stroller was an ear-splitting option in his case too. We laughed about it and I only teased her a little. ;)  

  2. # Blogger Mom24

    That is so great. What a creative solution. See? You're going to do great with the twins. I'm so glad you were able to come up with something that worked for you and Isabella.  

  3. # Anonymous Anonymous

    I've been tempted to buy one of those myself, but I'm pretty certain our wagon days are numbered anyway. Bridget can now wriggle out of the straps on her carseat. The only thing that actually keeps her in the seat is the buckle between her legs. Sigh. Traveling halfway across the USA should be fun as we stop every 30 minutes to readjust.

    Glad Isabella likes the wagon!! And it'll be perfect when Isabella is old enough to walk beside you and you can pull the twins. :-)  

  4. # Blogger tracey.becker1@gmail.com

    Wagons are awesome. The only thing I don't like about them is the constant need I feel to keep checking on the kids behind me. Especially in crowded places... I am SO GLAD you found a way to get out and about!  

  5. # Blogger Andrew

    I would've gone with the leash.  

  6. # Blogger beagle

    Glad it worked out!

    How about this for a back up? I plan to use one and it's a little less SNL than the one you showed.

    http://www.target.com/Eddie-Bauer-2-Harness-Buddy/dp/B0011UNHQ2/sr=1-2/qid=1210259533/ref=sr_1_2/601-0307100-4691378?ie=UTF8&index=target&rh=k%3Amonkey%20backpack&page=1  

  7. # Anonymous Anonymous

    That grudging smile in the last pic is awesome.

    "I'll sit in it, but that doesn't mean you won."  

  8. # Blogger Pregnantly Plump

    We have one of those little Goldbug backpack harnesses. It looks like a puppy backpack and the tail is long enough for me to hold onto it. People haven't been snarky about it -- at least to my face.
    We were actually thinking of breaking out the wagon this weekend, but ours is the old fashioned kind, so I'm not sure how it will go. Glad she likes the wagon, though!  

  9. # Blogger Damselfly

    Heeeyyyy.... I've seen that wagon. Sometimes with a canopy. It looks great!  

  10. # Anonymous Anonymous

    LOL I just love the crying face, thats a great idea though although im sure none of my kids would sit in it . Did she behave?  

  11. # Blogger sher

    That was such fun to read! It almost made me forget my damn thobbing knee! The last picture? Perfect.  

Post a Comment

Quick Snapshot:

  • 34-year-old writer and
    mother to a daughter
    born in August 2006 following
    IVF and girl/boy twins born in October 2008 following FET. Come along as I document the search for my lost intellect. It's a bumpy ride. Consider yourself warned.

  • 100 Things About Me
  • My Blogger Profile
  • Send Me an E-mail

  • "All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware." -Martin Buber

Inside My Suitcase:





Off the Beaten Path:

    XML

    Powered by Blogger

    Design: Lisanne, based on a template by Gecko and Fly