Should a Woman Receive a "Push Present" Following the Birth of Her Child?

Today, I'm once again guest-posting on Melissa's blog. She runs a weekly feature called Up For Debate, designed to provoke thought amongst her readers.

Push presents are gifts given by men to the women in their lives to commemorate the birth of their children. While a relatively new trend in North America, push presents have a long history in Europe and in India.

Should a new mom receive a push present (beyond the obligatory flowers) after giving birth as a token of her partner's appreciation for the hardships nine months of pregnancy often brings? Or is a push present a frivolous and unnecessary waste of money?

Check out my post on A Writer's Woolgatherings to read my thoughts on push presents.

9 Responses to “Should a Woman Receive a "Push Present" Following the Birth of Her Child?”

  1. # Blogger Unknown

    Thanks for participating! I can't wait to see what kind of response this gets. ;-)  

  2. # Blogger beagle

    For me the baby will be gift enough.

    But then again, the only kind of pushing I'll be doing is paper pushing. Does that even count?  

  3. # Blogger tracey.becker1@gmail.com

    Um, hell YEAH a present is important! I didn't really get gifts, but wouldn't have turned any away, either.  

  4. # Blogger Andrew

    Oh please. Just more of the post-feminist, Oprah-driven "I'm the center of the universe" mentality. When are women going to give up the myth that they're the only parent who sacrifices for the good of the children? When does the father get a "Thrust Present"?  

  5. # Blogger Marie

    LMAO.... LOVE the thrust present idea!  

  6. # Blogger My Wombinations

    I have to go with Andrew on this one.... "Push Presents" seem a bit like a holdover from dowrys and other such patriarchal nonsense. Until we let go of the notion that women are "special" in terms of child rearing then nothing will change with regard to father's rights. And while I definitely err on the side of materialism, I prefer to receive my special presents for mother's day, not in the delivery room.  

  7. # Anonymous Anonymous

    I think any present after giving birth is fabulous!! I got a massage certificate and used it 6 weeks later!  

  8. # Anonymous Anonymous

    I forgot to mention on my comment over there... but hubby got a present from me as well. Mine was a thank you from him for carrying and delivering our son... his was a thank you from me for putting up with me during those months and making late night french fry runs!  

  9. # Blogger Laura McIntyre

    I think its a nice idea but the baby really should be gift enough, actually what i would of loved either time was coming home to a clean house. That would be a great push present  

Post a Comment

Quick Snapshot:

  • 34-year-old writer and
    mother to a daughter
    born in August 2006 following
    IVF and girl/boy twins born in October 2008 following FET. Come along as I document the search for my lost intellect. It's a bumpy ride. Consider yourself warned.

  • 100 Things About Me
  • My Blogger Profile
  • Send Me an E-mail

  • "All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware." -Martin Buber

Inside My Suitcase:





Off the Beaten Path:

    XML

    Powered by Blogger

    Design: Lisanne, based on a template by Gecko and Fly