(Extremely Terrifying!) Orange Brownies

Now for some dessert to go with the whine.

I just love the fall (it's my favorite season), and I miss all the fall baking I used to do. Cinnamon! Nutmeg! Quick breads! Cookies! Pumpkin in everything! (including Dunkin Donuts' new pumpkin latte, which my husband so kindly brought me as a surprise, along with a pumpkin spice muffin, last Thursday morning). Yum.

I'm not sure how I managed to overlook this, since the very fact that I allowed myself to spend time baking is monumental in its significance, but a few weeks ago, I made Paula Deen's Orange Brownies (which are not actually terrifying, but instead extremely delicious) for this.

If you're a long-time reader here, you know I don't like chocolate, so obviously this means brownies don't do a thing for me. But these brownies contain no chocolate. Not a chip. Not a sliver. Not a chunk. Nada. And so, the world of the "brownie" opened up for me.

Ingredients

1 1/2 cups flour

2 cups sugar

1 tsp salt

1 cup butter (softened)

4 eggs

2 tsp pure orange extract

1 tsp grated orange zest

For Glaze

1 cup confectioners' sugar

2 TBSP orange juice

1 tsp grated orange zest


Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 13 x 9 x 2-inch pan.

2. Stir together flour, sugar, and salt in a bowl, and add eggs, butter, extract, and zest.

3. Using a mixer, beat until well blended.

4. Pour into prepared pan and bake for 30 minutes, or until golden brown and set. Remove from oven, and pierce entire cake with a fork.

5. For glaze, mix confectioners' sugar, juice, and zest, and stir together until smooth. Pour glaze over brownies. Cool and cut into squares. Makes 24 squares.


Look over to the right, under the Detours heading. See the link to my severely neglected Recipe Index, which hasn't seen a new entry since April? I'll bet you didn't even know it was there. I had almost forgotten about it myself. Sometime in the next few weeks, I plan on baking. It will be time stolen from at least five other projects, and I will feel guilty the entire time (the Catholic school girl guilt complex thing doesn't fade with age). But I need to start doing more things I enjoy. I need it.

Even if my hips don't.

Happy Halloween!

7 Responses to “(Extremely Terrifying!) Orange Brownies”

  1. # Blogger Gal on the Go

    Hey there - I never realized we shared something in common - not liking chocolate! I'll definitely be perusing your recipes. I'll need something to do while we are looking for a new house and I fully intend to breakout the KitchenAid. Just stay near your computer in case I need support :-)  

  2. # Anonymous Anonymous

    Yummmmm! These look really tasty! I STILL have not gotten into baking and my beautiful Kitchen Aid mixer is gathering dust. (But looks great on the counter-minus the dust, of course!)
    I had to laugh at the pumpkin-munching squirrels and the lube! Maybe they are entranced by the shinyness? At any rate, have fun carving, you and the squirrels can come up with something really original.
    My pumpkins were stolen from the front of the house yesterday. I have a feeling it wasn't the squirrels who took them!
    BTW...love Isabella's rose-coloured glasses!  

  3. # Blogger Damselfly

    Hmm. I'm a little suspicious that something called a brownie doesn't have any chocolate. But in any case, these sound really good.  

  4. # Blogger kenju

    I'd call it a "Blondie"!  

  5. # Anonymous Anonymous

    Yum--Paula Dean means they are delicious. Did you put any out for the squirrels?  

  6. # Blogger Kristi

    Liz-Yay! A kindred chocolate-hating spirit. Email me for Kitchenaid advice anytime!

    Ramona-It does look awesome on the counter, doesn't it? You need to use it! And we ended up not carving the pumpkins this year. Too much of a hassle, and not enough "surface area" that was unmangled.

    Damselfly-I know. But they were really good!

    Kenju-Good idea!

    Sher-lol. The squirrels most definitely did not receive any!  

  7. # Blogger Lisanne

    I *loooooove* Paula's orange brownies. Have you ever tried her gooey butter cakes? I'd love to try a pumpkin one. MMM!  

Post a Comment

Quick Snapshot:

  • 34-year-old writer and
    mother to a daughter
    born in August 2006 following
    IVF and girl/boy twins born in October 2008 following FET. Come along as I document the search for my lost intellect. It's a bumpy ride. Consider yourself warned.

  • 100 Things About Me
  • My Blogger Profile
  • Send Me an E-mail

  • "All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware." -Martin Buber

Inside My Suitcase:





Off the Beaten Path:

    XML

    Powered by Blogger

    Design: Lisanne, based on a template by Gecko and Fly