Saturday Night Fever

If there's anything more pitiful than a sick baby, I'm not sure what that might be.

Isabella came down with a bad cold, cough, fever, and ear infection yesterday.

She spent all day today laying in our arms, her hot little head on our shoulders. Zero energy. Zero desire to play with toys. Zero desire to climb the stairs or ride the cats (which tells me she is really and truly sick). Occasionally, she'd perk up, and request "Na-Na," her word for Elmo, whose annoying and insipid little diddy before his segment on Sesame Street consists of "La-La-La-La, La-La-La-La, Elmo's World." TV is usually verboten on mommy's watch, however it's snuck its way into daddy's.

I never thought these words would find their way onto this blog, but thankfully the hubs had DVR-d some episodes of Sesame Street, because that's all the poor thing had the energy to do: lay in our arms, her head on our chests, her glassy little eyes half-focused on the tv.

And since it's been at least 27 years or so since I've watched Sesame Street, I can tell you that not much has changed. Although, watching it as an adult, I am here to report the show is oddly alluring. I watched Ben Stiller dressed up like a wedge of cheese singing "These Are The People in My Neighborhood." I watched a family of white pipecleaners anxious about meeting the new neighbors, a family of green pipecleaners, only to realize that the green family of pipecleaners is exactly the same as they are, just a different color. And I watched a classroom of five-year-olds painstakingly writing their names on pieces of colored paper over, and over, and over again.

However, I most certainly did not go through all the DVR-d episodes, unable to look away. No. Didn't.

Let me break down other parts of my day for you:

Number of hours spent underneath 20 dead-weight pounds of steaming-hot baby while she slept in my arms: 18

Number of times 47 cm-round, 90th percentile skull smacked into my jawbone as she thrashed uncomfortably in my arms: 12

Number of hours holding pee inside microscopic bladder because of not wanting to wake baby sleeping on my chest, where her right knee was lodged tight against aforementioned bladder: 3

Number of times I wished I was anywhere else but being allowed by my daughter to hold and comfort her, since in her new toddlerhood role, she wants no part of snuggles with mommy on a normal day: 0.

Okay, now bring on the amoxicillin, please.

5 Responses to “Saturday Night Fever”

  1. # Blogger kenju

    I am sorry that she is sick, but I know with your good care, she will recover soon.

    Sesame Street was one of my favoriytes from the very beginning show. I miss seeing it with my kids, and their kids never cared much for it.  

  2. # Anonymous Anonymous

    Oh no!! I hope she is feeling better soon! Hugs!  

  3. # Blogger Marie

    Oh! I hope she's feeling better soon. It's so hard when they're sick... but you're right -- the snuggling is the best part!  

  4. # Blogger Gal on the Go

    There is nothing sadder than a sick child. I hope she's feeling better now :-)  

  5. # Blogger Damselfly

    Aw! I hope she feels better by now.  

Post a Comment

Quick Snapshot:

  • 34-year-old writer and
    mother to a daughter
    born in August 2006 following
    IVF and girl/boy twins born in October 2008 following FET. Come along as I document the search for my lost intellect. It's a bumpy ride. Consider yourself warned.

  • 100 Things About Me
  • My Blogger Profile
  • Send Me an E-mail

  • "All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware." -Martin Buber

Inside My Suitcase:





Off the Beaten Path:

    XML

    Powered by Blogger

    Design: Lisanne, based on a template by Gecko and Fly