I Love You Best When You're Sleeping

There are days in the last almost 11 months of my life when the only thing I want is to run upstairs to my bedroom, shut the door, and lay on my bed in the absolute silence of solitude for 10 minutes. One of the biggest adjustments I've had to make since becoming a mom is coming to terms with the absense of quiet in my life. In addition to the many and varied and loud noises my child emits on a regular basis, it seems, with few exceptions, that most of her toys make noise, and mostly obnoxious noises at that.

So, my days are filled with her babbling, which I love, but also with her whining and crying, which I do not. And there are many days when I am simply exhausted from chasing her around the house and worn out from being used as her personal jungle gym that I just cannot wait to put her to bed. Because then? There is silence.

Of course, when I go in to check on Isabella before I go to bed, she's sleeping. (Which, as you may remember, she does not do during the day.) And she is blissfully and wonderfully and completely silent. (And quite angelic too, I might add.) So a few months ago I started taking pictures of her while she slept. To remind me that no matter how many times I have to pull her out from under the ottoman, wrestle her into a shirt when she has no intention of helping me dress her, or try to end a meltdown because I won't feed her cheese for dinner, being her mom is the best thing that ever happened to me.

Even if the decibel level of her screeches has made me consider, more than once, outfitting her room with some industrial-grade ( Yet colorful! Cheerful! And possibly block-and-number-themed!) soundproofing.

Here's my "Bjorked" ode to the sleeping babe.

It's oh so quiet...

Shhhhh...


Shhhhh...


It's oh, so still


You're all alone

And so peaceful until...


There's a certain blogger and friend of mine who hopefully won't be getting much sleep tonight because she's celebrating her 30th birthday today!

Happy Birthday, Sasha!

Go give her some sugar.

13 Responses to “I Love You Best When You're Sleeping”

  1. # Blogger Marie

    Beautiful pictures! And oh so true... I still think this way often!!! In fact, just last night when little K finally went to sleep at 8pm, sans ANY napping yesterday, I breathed a massive sigh of relief.

    So angelic when they're sleeping, indeed....  

  2. # Blogger Marie

    ps -- does your Grandma know you keep her ears exposed like that when she's sleeping??

    ;-)  

  3. # Blogger Kris

    too cute! Sleeping baby pics are my favorite. Brody and Isabella even sleep alike... ALL over the place. =)  

  4. # Blogger Shannon

    I tried to take photos of Lore sleeping but she wakes up when I come into the room... but those are sooooo cute!!  

  5. # Blogger sunShine

    Oh how true! Last night as my hubby and the kids were playing in the bedroom, I sat on the sofa and watched Jeopardy in peace and quiet. It was wonderful. As much as we love them, sometimes we just need some quiet time. I love the pics, I have a few of my little angel sleeping too.  

  6. # Blogger My Wombinations

    aww thanks:) I am busy having my own little self-pity party. It sure is fun.  

  7. # Blogger kenju

    How precious is a sleeping baby?! I know what you mean about needing some quiet. After my son was born I craved it, and it seemed every toy he was given made horrible noises. One old aunt of mr. kenju's gave him a drum when he was 1 year old. I could have strangled her!  

  8. # Blogger Leslie

    That's too funny! I like the pic of her sleeping with her little rump in the air. I used to sleep that way, too.  

  9. # Blogger beagle

    That's the cutest collection of photos! Shall I send you earplugs for the daylight hours?

    I just blogged about my fear of the changes motherhood will bring. You've added another to the list (but you've also given me a reminder of the reward as well!)  

  10. # Blogger Damselfly

    So cute! You are so are brave to take sleeping-baby photos. I should try to do that more often even though I risk waking Flybaby up....

    Bjork would be proud!  

  11. # Blogger Ramona

    Adorable! I love all her differendt positions, but especially the one with her little bum up in the air!  

  12. # Anonymous Anonymous

    Kristi, you write the best posts! Of course, Isabella is so beautiful you could be the worst writer and the posts would still be a delight. But, you write so well and that makes coming to your site so special..  

  13. # Anonymous Anonymous

    Good Job! :)  

Post a Comment

Quick Snapshot:

  • 34-year-old writer and
    mother to a daughter
    born in August 2006 following
    IVF and girl/boy twins born in October 2008 following FET. Come along as I document the search for my lost intellect. It's a bumpy ride. Consider yourself warned.

  • 100 Things About Me
  • My Blogger Profile
  • Send Me an E-mail

  • "All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware." -Martin Buber

Inside My Suitcase:





Off the Beaten Path:

    XML

    Powered by Blogger

    Design: Lisanne, based on a template by Gecko and Fly