Isabella at Eight Months

Yesterday, Isabella turned 8 months old. Little Miss has been growing and changing by leaps and bounds over the past month.

The biggest change since last month is that she's come to the realization that laying on her tummy is not akin to being waterboarded by the Bush administration. She now rolls all over the place, and spends quite a bit of time on her tummy, both while playing, and while sleeping.

She's not crawling yet, and at this point, I'd be surprised if she ever does. What she does do is lay on her belly, and move commando-style, using her elbows as leverage, to stretch and reach for her toys. It's as if she's on a reconniscence mission, but she's completely dead from the waist down. At this rate, her meaty little thighs will never be Suzanne Somers-perfect!

Her most recent new trick, which has just emerged in the last week or so is that she now holds out arms to go to people, which is super-cute, and of course, a major crowd-pleaser in my family.

Feeding her has become a combat sport of sorts. She's developed a passive-aggressive fascination with wrapping her mouth around the rim of her highchair tray while her mouth is full of food. This, of course, makes a mess, and I firmly tell her "No!" while pushing back her head. And what does she do? Smile cunningly, and repeat the same behavior the next time I'm looking away.

She also turns in Oscar-worthy performances while she eats a new food. Somehow she has caught on to the "see food" thing. When I introduce her to a new vegetable, her first instinct is to scowl, and stick out her tongue with the offending food still on it, as if I had placed a live caterpillar there for her to swallow. She then fake-gags, and then behaves in such a way that makes those out of the room but within earshot believe I was beating her. And then, of course, the next time I feed her the previously untolerable food item, she devours it.

She's discovered the fun of peek-a-boo, and can both take the rings off and put them back on her stacking toys. She's also channeling her inner Ty Pennington, because there's been many a time when I've come to get her following a nap to find her hard at work at disassembling her crib bumper. We've lowered her mattress, because we're certain if we didn't, we'd one day walk in to find her sitting on the floor reading Proust.

Isabella's made great progress this month, but seems to have regressed in another behavioral area just within the last few days. It's extremely frustrating, and I've tried everything I can think of to correct the issue. I'll blog about this in the next few days, and hopefully someone out there will have a solution for me.

In the meantime, here are some pictures.

Isabella's iPod is rockin' the hip-hop these days. Current favorite? Eminem.


Please do not feed the animals, for they do not enjoy food designed for humans.


Naked hammock-swinging is fun.


Apparently, wearing this outfit makes me a fan.


She's wearing my hat from when I was a wee little girl.

12 Responses to “Isabella at Eight Months”

  1. # Blogger Christine

    Holy moly, she is getting so big! When did this happen? Also, incredibly cute.  

  2. # Blogger M

    WOW! I remember when she was born! Seems like yesterday! She's 8 months already?? TOO CUTE  

  3. # Blogger My Wombinations

    She is getting so big--and so damn cute. She is, in fact, SO cute that I will look past the fact that she is a Yankees fan:)  

  4. # Blogger Marie

    Look at the sweeticuns!! What about those meaty thighs? Don't you think she wants those photos posted for posterity?  

  5. # Blogger kenju

    Naked hammock swinging is the best photo!! Just wait until she learns to "skin-the-cat" out of her crib! Sitting on the floor reading Proust? Yes, and she'll be raiding the refrigerator before long too. Keep the wine elsewherre!  

  6. # Anonymous Anonymous

    Aww--thank you for this. I was feeling very blue until I read your words and saw the pictures. I love looking at her adorable face.  

  7. # Blogger MsPrufrock

    I'm curious as to what this regression is, but I will say that P. often starts to do things, then stops abruptly. For instance, she learned to clap, but that only lasted for two days untili she gave it up completely in favour of blowing raspberries.

    It's not really a regression I know, but babies' behaviour shifts so rapidly one way and the other and it's nothing to worry about. Assvice over.

    What adorable pictures!  

  8. # Blogger Gal on the Go

    Sweet, sweet photos Kristi!  

  9. # Anonymous Anonymous

    I want to naked hammock swing! It would be hard to pull this off here at work, however.  

  10. # Blogger sunShine

    She just gets more adorable every month! I cannot believe she is 8 months old, seems like yesterday she was born!  

  11. # Blogger Damselfly

    Oh, so cute! I love the holding-arms-out thing. My boy hasn't done that yet but does like to roll as a means of transportation! I love her big beautiful eyes!  

  12. # Blogger Leslie

    I still play See Food!  

Post a Comment

Quick Snapshot:

  • 34-year-old writer and
    mother to a daughter
    born in August 2006 following
    IVF and girl/boy twins born in October 2008 following FET. Come along as I document the search for my lost intellect. It's a bumpy ride. Consider yourself warned.

  • 100 Things About Me
  • My Blogger Profile
  • Send Me an E-mail

  • "All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware." -Martin Buber

Inside My Suitcase:





Off the Beaten Path:

    XML

    Powered by Blogger

    Design: Lisanne, based on a template by Gecko and Fly