Isabella at 3 years, 10 Months

Isabella is almost four.

I have an almost-four-year-old.

My first but no longer my tiniest dictator had an overall decent month, but we've been witnessing some defiant and sassy behavior of which I am not fond. Listening has become an issue, and as a result of not doing it, Miss Isabella has been logging some minutes in Time Out, during which she screams and yells like a caged wild animal.



The "nap" issue continues to be a problem. She is now refusing to stay in her room even for 30-45 minutes, which is what she's been doing for the last month or so. Now, she might nap once a week or once every 10 days. Most of the time, though, she's calling me whining to leave her room and come downstairs just as I've settled down to work after scarfing down my lunch. I relent, because she has beaten my down and frankly, I don't have the energy to argue with her anymore. She says she will play independently, and she will for about 15 minutes. And then this starts:

"Hey, mommy! Come look at this!"

"Mommy, will you play preschool/library/puzzles/coloring/painting/Play-doh with me?"

"Mommy, can I have a snack?"

"I need you to be done with your work now."

"MOMMMMMMMMYYYY"

As you might imagine, this is killing my work schedule, so for this reason, and several others I am looking into getting a part-time nanny/babysitter for a few mornings and/or afternoons a week. Trying to do the volume of work I now have without childcare has moved into the sphere of ridiculous, and my teeny, tiny shred of sanity is just about severed. The problem I'm finding, however, is that of the three leads I had, two never called/emailed me back, and the third cancelled her interview with me hours before she was supposed to arrive because she had just received a job offer that would conflict with the hours I needed her. Apparently, nannies are not affected by the state of the economy.


The car situation is becoming unmanageable. Isabella is quite literally stuck in the middle of two pincer crabs. All three are side-by-side in the back of my Trailblazer, and the twins have started attacking Isabella by pinching her. The poor thing has nowhere to go, and obviously, much screaming ensues when Luci and Nicholas are on the attack.

The thing is, I do not want a minivan (no offense to my minivan-loving peeps, and I know there are many of you out there). My dream car is a Mini Cooper and I do not think a minivan could possibly be any further away from this. A new car of any kind is out of our price range right now, and I don't know how feasible it is to get a used vehicle capable of comfortably transporting five people for no more than what we're paying on the Trailblazer right now.

In more positive news, Isabella had a blast in her two-week summer camp at her preschool. I wish it was held all summer long so she could enjoy spending more time with her teachers and her preschool friends, many of whom she won't see next year given that she's transitioning to the four-day-a-week afternoon program, and many of them are staying with the three-day morning program. She's taking swimming lessons at my health club now, and is enjoying them also, but my dear daughter is not a natural swimmer. I'm watching the lessons and taking photos of them for the club's Facebook page and blog, and while the other kids seem to be getting the hang of things, Isabella is not quite as adept. She has one more week to go, so we'll see if she improves.

The Charlie love has intensified since his triumphant return. While she would carry him around the house about 80% of the time before his five-hour vacation in the Thomas the Train puzzle box, Charlie is almost always in her arms now. She's also taken to anthropomorphizing him ("Charlie just told me his tummy hurts. When Charlie was lost, he was scared.") She clearly has that separation very much in mind, although she hasn't told me that she's afraid of losing him again.
Note to self: Buy replacement Charlie now.

She still loves art and craft projects and would do them all day long if I had the time or inclination to do them with her. Her Highlights magazine had a recipe for homemade play-doh in it, so a few weeks ago, we made some. Isabella loved it.

Current Likes: Pretend play (library, preschool, train passengers, shopping), radishes
Current Dislikes: Bedtime, parental authority
***********************************************************************
Speaking of parental authority, do you think McDonald's and "Big Food" (think Kelloggs and Kraft) are responsible for the childhood obesity epidemic because of the way they market junk food to kids, or do you think parents are to blame? I wrote about this on my health and wellness blog. Check it out and tell me what you think.

4 Responses to “Isabella at 3 years, 10 Months”

  1. # Anonymous Ness at Drovers Run

    I always seem to go through 'authority issues' in the last couple of months in the run up to the birthday. With Skip, he's turning 5 in August, and OMG at the moment, nearly everything I ask him to do is either met with an outright NO, or a "I don't want to...whine whine...grump" driving me NUTS. It's like in the run up to his birthday he suddenly has to test out all his boundaries with renewed vigor just in case any of them have moved since he last tried. Urk.  

  2. # Blogger Mom24

    She sounds absolutely wonderful. :)

    How is it you can't find childcare and I can't find kids to watch? *sigh* Good luck finding something, you definitely should, your sanity is worth it.

    I know you don't want to hear it, but I heart my Odyssey. sorry, couldn't resist.  

  3. # Anonymous Kell

    I love my mini van too I also have an Odyssey, life is easier with it... I especially love the automatic sliding doors.... There is nothing that has made my life easier. Literally. My girlfriend that has 1y/o twins and a 3 and 7 y/o just traded her Pilot for a Town and Country, as the 3rd row was not easily accessible. Tom has a Mercury Sable and the price was right and I can easily fit 3 carseats across the back and it gets great gas mileage. The other 3rd row options kinda suck because you have to climb over the second row to get to the 3rd (my IL's MDX for example or the Pilot). I would definitely try the local colleges for childcare, I have had good luck that way. As have my WAHM friends. They just posted signs and kids called them.

    Oh and Joss spends LOTS and LOTS of time in TO and has since she was 2. She is just defiant... testing is her favorite pastime. We had an epic battle recently where she earned 5 consecutive TO's, what can you do?  

  4. # Blogger Heather

    I always love reading these recaps. Charlotte went through quite a TO phase a few months ago. I think she is gearing up to go through another soon too.

    It is funny to see many of the same outfits on Isabella as Charlotte. And this post reminds me to order highlights for Charlotte too. Thanks!  

Post a Comment

Quick Snapshot:

  • 34-year-old writer and
    mother to a daughter
    born in August 2006 following
    IVF and girl/boy twins born in October 2008 following FET. Come along as I document the search for my lost intellect. It's a bumpy ride. Consider yourself warned.

  • 100 Things About Me
  • My Blogger Profile
  • Send Me an E-mail

  • "All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware." -Martin Buber

Inside My Suitcase:





Off the Beaten Path:

    XML

    Powered by Blogger

    Design: Lisanne, based on a template by Gecko and Fly