Luci and Nicholas at 20 Months

I figured I better post the twins' 20-month update before they turn five-years-old and flog me with their kindergarten lunchboxes because um, hello, somehow I was able to post their older sister's toddler updates on time, right?

(Sigh.)

Over the past month or so, both Luci and Nicholas have become insanely social. When we're out for a walk, at the gym's daycare, or anywhere else in public, they are both yelling (yes, yelling), "Hi!!!!" to everyone they see, and "Bye!!!" when we're leaving. Waves usually accompany the yelling.

Of course, everyone they meet tells me that this is the most adorable thing ever. I've taken it upon myself to invite each of these people over to my house for a day, because while the twins are (usually) well-behaved outside the house, at home, they continue to be screaming little hellcats. One of these months (and dear God, I hope it's soon), I will be able to tell you that the storm is over. That their personalities have mellowed. That non-stop screaming does not follow me around the house every minute we're home. Unfortunately, this is not that month.
This is Luci.

She is small and light as a feather. Her features are petite. She eats practically nothing. She appears sweet and charming. She still has only two teeth.
But Luci's personality and her appearance do not gel. She is incredibly stubborn, her favorite word is "no!", and if she wants you to hold her (and she does very, very often) and you cannot or will not, she will pitch an unholy fit the likes of which you have never seen from a toddler of her size. Feet-stomping, arm-waving, and piercing, pterodactyl-like shrieks are a three-times-an-hour occurrence around here. I see prison time in her future.

Listen to me, woman!
Luci loves pointing out bugs of all kinds ("Ant! Ant!"), snuggling, and channeling her inner Marlon Brando in "A Streetcar Named Desire" by calling her sister's name at full volume: "Bel-LA! Bel-LA!"
This is Nicholas.


In the past month, he has suddenly grown to look like a little boy instead of a baby. While he has a more mellow personality than does his sister, his favorite activity continues to be following me around the house screaming.
He loves books and reading, especially "Ciffor" (Clifford) books. He also loves watching people pretend to cry. He will come up to me and say, "Mommy, kai" (cry), and then when I pretend to weep, he laughs hysterically. He does this with everyone. My son is a sadist.
His vocabulary continues to explode. He's calling himself "Neko" (Nico) now, and while I was rocking him before bed the other night, he said, "Neko no go nigh nigh." He points to things and shouts out their names "Coop!" (soup), "burd!" (bird), and "Goose!" (which is what we call Luci) are among his favorites.
Nicholas has also started telling me when he has pooped, is obsessed with cars - "Nama's car!" (Grandma's car) - and enjoys climbing everything in sight.
There are some occasions with the twins that are incredible to watch. Given their "challenging" personalities, peeking through the cutout window in my kitchen and seeing this in the family room/play room is awesome.

They have begun to play with eachother for brief periods of time, and while 90% of the time their play consists of one stealing a toy from the other and the wronged party screaming, seeing this gives me hope that perhaps a more normal household existence is somewhere in the not-so-distant future.

Both twins are wearing 18 month clothing now, although Luci still wears quite a few 12 month size pieces too. They're in size 4 diapers and size 4 shoes.

Luci

Current Likes: A shoe-free state of being, baby dolls

Current Dislikes: Not getting her way, most vegetables

Nicholas

Current Likes: Snack-stealing from other kids at the gym daycare, going "bye-bye car"

Current Dislikes: Having me out of his line of vision, face-washing

****************************************************************************

In other news, my half-marathon training had been going swimmingly until I injured myself. I lost both a week of training and my mind in the process of healing. I blogged about it on my health and wellness blog. Click over and check it out if you're so inclined.

7 Responses to “Luci and Nicholas at 20 Months”

  1. # Anonymous Ness at Drovers Run

    I wish there could be a soundtrack to these pictures, because honestly, while I can totally believe the screaming thing, the faces are too cute to *really* believe it.

    They are both growing SO fast!  

  2. # Blogger Jesser

    Your hellcats are darling. Love hearing about all of their development! It's hard to believe they're getting so big. Hope they give you a break soon!!  

  3. # Anonymous christine

    It sounds like a break is coming soon and I hope that it is. The screaming must drive you completely batty (well, at least it would drive me to batty.)

    They are super cute though. Any nice teens in your hood who wouldn't mind earning an extra 5-10 an hour. Even if they were watching them while you were home holed away in an office so you can get some work done? I did that one summer for a two year old, on top of another job, and it was great for me, great for Faith, and I'm sure great for her grandmother who she lived with.  

  4. # Blogger Jeni

    Ah, he does look like a little boy now! Incredible how that happens all the sudden. It's a shame that instead of following you around crying all day they couldn't maybe tail eachother :). Hopefully they will continue to entertain eachother, and perhaps for even longer periods of time.  

  5. # Blogger Pregnantly Plump

    Do they screech just for the fun of it? Baby Plum loves to screech for the fun of it. Wow, does that get painful.
    Their pictures look super sweet. Is Luci's hair curly?  

  6. # Blogger Kristi

    Ness-Oh, I have a soundtrack. Small pieces of it coming tomorrow.

    Jess-Me too!

    Christine-I am in the nanny-hunting process. It is slow going, given that once I mention the kids' ages, no one seems to be interested.

    Jeni-They are starting to do that now. Hopefully more of this comes soon.

    Meredith-They screech for the fun of it, AND to annoy the living crap out of me. Luci's hair is curly. I have no idea where this comes from, as my hair is pin straight.  

  7. # Blogger Unknown

    I can't believe they are nearly TWO!!  

Post a Comment

Quick Snapshot:

  • 34-year-old writer and
    mother to a daughter
    born in August 2006 following
    IVF and girl/boy twins born in October 2008 following FET. Come along as I document the search for my lost intellect. It's a bumpy ride. Consider yourself warned.

  • 100 Things About Me
  • My Blogger Profile
  • Send Me an E-mail

  • "All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware." -Martin Buber

Inside My Suitcase:





Off the Beaten Path:

    XML

    Powered by Blogger

    Design: Lisanne, based on a template by Gecko and Fly