Luci and Nicholas at 19 Months

Luci and Nicholas are now officially closer to age two than they are to age one.

I am now officially one step closer to having myself committed than I was one month ago.

There's been some good that's happened this month. Both babies have adjusted wonderfully to life in the gym's daycare, which has really made my life so much easier. Nicholas just walks right in and takes off to play with the several zillion toys they have available, and while Luci tends to hang back with me while I get their stuff settled, she eventually chills out too. The staff has told me that they've been happy and playing after I've left, whereas just 4-6 weeks ago, they would be screaming off and on the entire time, and several times so uncontrollably that I've been paged mid-run to pick them up and take them home.

So, this is definitely +1 for the twins, and I'm really proud of them.




Both Luci and Nicholas now follow directions somewhat well. If I ask them to pick some toys up, fetch me a missing sippy cup, or bring me a book, they will do so. Luci is especially compliant in this area. Neither twin likes tv, which I find surprising, because if I remember correctly, Isabella was about this age when she was very interested in Sesame Street. The tv is not on often here, but when it is, they couldn't care less about what's on, and frankly, I wish they did. It would be nice to use the tv as a calming mechanism during one of their frequent tantrums.

Their language skills continue to grow, and while Nicholas still has the edge on Luci (he speaks many more words, and puts together two-and-three-word combinations), she has more words than she had last month.

At their 18-month appointment, their pediatrician said that Nicholas is "very verbally advanced" for his age after hearing him chatter away in the exam room, since she doesn't look for combination sentences until age two. She said Luci's language development is exactly where it should be, which was good to hear. And Luci does say, "All gone" so I know she's heading in the right direction.

Here are their 18-month stats:

Luci

Weight: 2o lbs, 2.5 oz (less than 5th percentile)

Length: 29 inches (less than 5th percentile)

Nicholas

Weight: 22 lbs, 13.5 oz (10th percentile)

Length: 30.5 inches (less than 5th percentile)

Head Circumference: Gigantic. Dude has a head in the 93rd percentile

During their appointment, I finally brought up their seemingly non-stop crying and screaming, because it's gotten so bad that I've honestly begun to think that there's something wrong with them. I told their doctor that they begin crying usually less than 10 minutes after they get up in the morning, seemingly for no reason at all, and that despite living in a house overloaded with toys, their most favorite activity is to follow me from room to room screaming and crying. No amount of holding or cuddling is enough for them, because the second I put them down, they're right back at it. This is what I see at my feet literally dozens of times a day.


She asked me if they stop crying when I'm holding them. I said yes. She completed their exams to ensure that there was nothing physically wrong with them and potentially causing them pain, and then she told me that she suspects they are simply very high-needs children, which, of course, I've known since I took them home from the NICU. She said it's okay to put them down, reassure them that everything is okay, and continue with whatever it was I was doing when the outbursts happened. Obviously, I already knew this and do this, but apparently she must have thought that I went about my daily tasks carrying 40+ pounds of baby everywhere.

And then she said, "The most important thing with babies like this is that you're getting a break from them. Are you?"

Hahahahahahaha.

I take them to the gym for about 1.5 hours, 2-3 times a week. My grandma and great aunt come over once or twice a week for an hour or two, but given their ages (80+), I cannot leave them alone with the kiddos for very long. These constitute my "breaks" during the week. On the weekends, which is when I get the bulk of my work done, the hubs generally takes over twin care, but I'm hardly relaxing on the back deck with a margarita and Us Weekly.

So, a break? Not really.

Luci is my helper. I can count on her to help me pick up or take things into different rooms. She has also begin taking great naps, and snoozing until a reasonable hour in the morning. Of course, she spent the first 15 months of her life screaming through the night and waking up at the crack of dawn, so she owes me.

Luci now calls Isabella "Bel-LA" (with a big emphasis on the "la"). She calls Nicholas, "Dude," which I find hilarious, because along with "Nico," this has been his nickname since he was just a few months old. It's also interesting, because a few months ago, Nicholas starting calling Isabella, "Ba-Ba," so they don't call her by the same variation of her name.

She still has just 1.5 teeth. Fortunately, her doctor is not concerned. But seriously, 1.5 teeth at 19 months old?

She's developed a big interest in baby dolls, carries them all over the house, and loves feeding a bottle to Isabella's small baby doll, which is the perfect size for her hands. She's still majorly attached to her stuffed bunny named Bonnie, but whom she calls Baby, and insists on taking the bunny downstairs with her every morning.


In addition to her appearance, which is very different from her brother and sister and from her parents, there's another part of Luci which leads me to question her lineage. She is a ridiculously slow eater. The hubs and I? We eat quickly. Nicholas? Scarfs his meals down in about 30 seconds flat. Isabella is on the slow side as well, but compared to Luci, even Isabella is speedy. We all finish our dinners, and Luci is not even halfway through hers.

My dear, this is not how we roll in this family.


Nicholas is my talker, just as Isabella was at his age. He's constantly pointing to something, and saying, "Oh, burds!," "Oh, car!," etc. He is 100% boy in every single way. He loves shoving gigantic dining room chairs and the ottoman in my office all over the house. He is prying open drawers, attempting to get into the bathroom to play in the toilet, or hurl himself off the arms of the couch every chance he gets. He even smells like a boy, a scent very different from both Isabella and Luci.

He is never full. He is always asking for "more" of everything, and literally screams for his food while sitting in his highchair waiting for me to bring his meals to him. Apparently, this non-stop hunger is a boy thing? I don't know.

Nicholas has now transitioned to calling me "mommy" (rather than "mama") about half of the time now. He still wants me to hold him all day long. While both babies are high-needs, Nicholas is much more likely to follow me around the house screaming. I love him, but ohmygod, sometimes I wish we had a soundproof room I could stick him in until he learns to chill the hell out.

We hang out on the porch a lot now. The babies seem to like it, and Isabella loves it when we eat lunch out there. I'm so happy the warmer weather is here.


Luci
Current Likes: Picking flowers, cat-kissing
Current Dislikes: The injustices of toddlerdom, booger removal
Nicholas:
Current Likes: Pulling alphabet magnets off the fridge and throwing them to the floor, entering competitive-eating competitions, crawling up my leg
Current Dislikes: Everyone but me

8 Responses to “Luci and Nicholas at 19 Months”

  1. # Blogger The New Girl

    Oh dear, Mama you need a break. Did she give you any suggestions on breaking them out of the screaming? Oh my goodness that would drive me right out of my mind.

    I love that Nico is all head. They are both so cute.  

  2. # Blogger Andrew

    They're so cute in their silent still pics. Seriously, if you ever want a vacation, we've got plenty of room and almost complete silence. And a new 60" LCD. And plenty of parks and running trails. And a Starbucks on every corner.  

  3. # Blogger Jesser

    They are beautiful babies, Kristi! It is so fun and interesting to see them develop and grow.

    At the risk of sounding like an inept mom ;) I have to say, the crying would drive me bonkers!! I think there was a chapter in The Baby Whisperer book about helping kids get over the need to be held. I know you have *so* much time to read and all, but I'll throw it out there.

    It is so cool to hear that Nico is the chatty twin! I'm seeing a good RL friend with B/G twins tonight and hers are the same way. She says she's the only one in her twin group with that situation! And it is wonderful that they are having fun at the gym daycare. What a nice break for you!  

  4. # Blogger Mom24

    Look! a picture of the twins smiling! Too cute.

    They are adorable. Hopefully someday they'll be less needy as well. I think it's an amazing accomplishment that you don't spend your days drinking.  

  5. # Blogger Rebecca

    I just wanted to say your children are adorable!!! I'm so glad Jamie (of Sticky Feet) turned me on to your blog. I am in a similar position to both yourself and Jamie. I have a daughter who was born on June 6, 2007. She was born after a total of 3 IVFs and one FET (it was the third IVF at a new clinic that did it). On April 18, 2009 I gave birth two boy/girl twins after another IVF. I work full time and am enjoying my kids more the older they get! I've decided that while little babies are nice and cuddly I have more fun with kids once they can talk and walk. I look forward to reading your blog!  

  6. # Blogger Pregnantly Plump

    I'm glad that things are getting better. As for the eating thing? I'm no expert, but both of my boys are eaters (unless I'm trying to make Little Elvis eat carrots). Baby Plum cries between bites of babyfood, and would prefer it if I just kept a boob in his face 24/7. I do think it's a boy thing.  

  7. # Blogger Unknown

    Luci calling Nico "Dude" cracks me up. That's hilarious!

    I can't believe how big they are getting. :-)  

  8. # Blogger Suzanne

    I got the biggest kick out of this entry! I don't know if it's a boy thing, but every single one of my boys is starving 24/7. My oldest two (nearly 9 and 6 1/2) easily eat 2-3 bowls of cereal each for breakfast and beg for more. I can give them lunch, and an hour later, "Mom, I'm staaaarrrving!" The youngest two both sit in their high chairs and scream while either I or my husband move at breakneck speed to chop up whatever we're having into big-toddler or baby-toddler size pieces. Nick's in that lovely picky stage where some things just don't fly ("no green beans! yucky green beans!"), but Nate is a bottomless pit (although lately he's been sooooo slow at it.)

    I had to grin when I read that your Nick follows you from room to room screaming. When my Nick is home (he's been in "school" full-time for a week now, and I admit, I've been taking advantage of the just-Nate time and my nasty energy-draining colds to slack off), he and Nate do the same thing. If I go to the bathroom, they follow me crying "Mom? Mom? Mom!!!" like I've left them forever and broken their little hearts. Wherever I go, they follow, crying to be picked up, pushing each other out of the way in order to get into Mommy's arms first. I actually stand the entire time Nick and Nate are both awake and present because if I sit anywhere, they're in my lap in 3 seconds flat (both of them). I'm thankful my kids love me so much, but OMG Mommy needs a break from little people every now and then! I've taken to going into the bedroom, locking the door, and hiding in the master bathroom (where the screams aren't quite as loud) for about 15 minutes, just to get some sanity back...

    Wait til the littlest two get into preschool. Your life will be pure bliss.  

Post a Comment

Quick Snapshot:

  • 34-year-old writer and
    mother to a daughter
    born in August 2006 following
    IVF and girl/boy twins born in October 2008 following FET. Come along as I document the search for my lost intellect. It's a bumpy ride. Consider yourself warned.

  • 100 Things About Me
  • My Blogger Profile
  • Send Me an E-mail

  • "All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware." -Martin Buber

Inside My Suitcase:





Off the Beaten Path:

    XML

    Powered by Blogger

    Design: Lisanne, based on a template by Gecko and Fly