Goodbye, Sher

Last week was a busy one for me. My mom was visiting, and I had a number of freelance projects to complete. I didn't have as much time to read and comment on my favorite blogs, so late Saturday evening I decided to catch up. I was reading Shannon's most recent blog entry, and happened to scroll down to read her next most-recent entry. I could not believe what I was reading.

A dear long-time blog friend had suddenly and unexpectedly died of a heart attack on the previous Sunday. I cannot believe that Sher is gone.

I immediately clicked over to Sher's blog, and the reality of what had happened hit me as I read her husband's tribute to her.

Sher was an incredible human being. Food and animals were her passions. She was an amazing cook, and her creations and food photography made me want to lick my laptop screen more than once. Sher was also a true friend to animals. At one time, she had a career as a lawyer, but left the field to pursue her true passion as a wildlife rehabilitator. She cared for many baby squirrels found abandoned in the wild until they were ready for release. Her beloved cat Upsie, who passed on earlier this year, brightened my weekends with her hysterical facial expressions and kitty-authored posts. She had recently adopted another kitten named Laura.

I can't remember exactly how I first discovered her blog several years ago. It may have been during my bread-baking days when I was scouring the blogosphere for food blogs. But I immediately found a wonderful friend in Sher, and we followed eachother's lives since that point. Despite recent health problems, she remained, as she always was: perpetually positive and upbeat. Her comments on my own blog were always so supportive and kind. I will never forget how she often wrote how much the photos I posted of Isabella made her smile and brightened her day.

It's incredible how the loss of a person whom I never met in person has affected me. And yet while I never had the pleasure of meeting her face-to-face, I knew instantly that she was "one of the good ones": a truly beautiful person with a kind soul and spirit.

Goodbye, sweet Sher. I'll never forget you.

10 Responses to “Goodbye, Sher”

  1. # Blogger Mel

    This life is so fleeting, it really makes you sit up and take notice of the loved ones around you.  

  2. # Blogger Shannon

    Sher LOVED Isabella, adored her! And she'll be loving those twins from wherever she is watching. A great tribute, Kristi.  

  3. # Blogger Mom24

    I am so sorry for the loss of your friend. It is amazing how my online friends, including you, are such a 'real' part of our lives. I know you will miss her.

    What a wonderful post.  

  4. # Blogger Jesser

    Too too bad. That is so sad to hear ... I'm sorry for your loss.  

  5. # Blogger sashabro

    That is so sad. I remember her kind comments on your blog...  

  6. # Blogger tracey.becker1@gmail.com

    I am so, so sorry...  

  7. # Blogger beagle

    Unspeakably sad. I'm so sorry.  

  8. # Anonymous Anonymous

    Oh how absolutely tragic and sad . . .  

  9. # Blogger Gal on the Go

    I'm so sorry Kristi and what a great post. I really don't what else to say except this is a good example why it's important everyday to let those who are special to you know how much they mean to you because you never know what tomorrow may bring. Hope you're doing well.  

  10. # Blogger Glenna

    That was a beautiful memorial to Sher. She would have loved it.  

Post a Comment

Quick Snapshot:

  • 34-year-old writer and
    mother to a daughter
    born in August 2006 following
    IVF and girl/boy twins born in October 2008 following FET. Come along as I document the search for my lost intellect. It's a bumpy ride. Consider yourself warned.

  • 100 Things About Me
  • My Blogger Profile
  • Send Me an E-mail

  • "All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware." -Martin Buber

Inside My Suitcase:





Off the Beaten Path:

    XML

    Powered by Blogger

    Design: Lisanne, based on a template by Gecko and Fly