Luci and Nicholas at 23 Months

My hellcats are almost two.


Most moms I know say that their kids' baby and toddler years passed in a blur, that they can barely remember the diaper blowout stage, the throwing food stage, or the biting stage.


I agree wholeheartedly, but my momnesia goes one step further. I literally cannot remember things that my kids have done or said yesterday. It is bad. Very bad. Which is why making time to write these monthly updates on my kids is a good thing, even when I have a Drafts folder full of more interesting topics I'm dying to write about. These posts help me remember.

We're all in the throes of adjusting to the new fall schedule. Most weekday mornings, I pack up the kids and head to the gym. Luci and Nicholas are still loving the daycare there (thank you, Jesus) and cannot wait to run through the doors and play. My work schedule is insane these days, and I may have to convert a couple of my workout days into partial work days - do a quick workout, and then whip out the laptop and take advantage of the quiet and free Wi-Fi in my gym's lounge.

Then, it's home for lunch, and back in the car again to take Isabella to preschool. They come home for naps, which Monday-Thursday I usually have to cut short for Nicholas (but never for Luci), because Isabella has to be picked up at 3:30. I am still very, very thankful that these two sleep well at night-usually for 13 hours, from 7pm-8am.

Busted.

Luci is chattering away these days, with "I got it!" and "Dude! Time Out!" as her favorite phrases. Yes, she enjoys monitoring her brother's behavior and enforcing punishment, when necessary. Her hair is a hot mess, and yet she will not keep barrettes or hairbands in it for very long.

Her Daddyitis (a beautiful thing, I might add) continues, and when her daddy is around, he's all she wants. Fortunately, she's a fickle beast, and when he's out of sight, she doesn't pine for him.

Her eating habits are deplorable, which I remember Isabella going through at this age. If it's not one of her stand-bys (homemade chicken soup, courtesy of my great aunt or my grandma), eggs, yogurt, or bread, she often refuses to eat. I'm still making zucchini muffins, so at least she eats those.

Dolls are her favorite playthings, as well as whatever her brother happens to be holding at any given time. She also loves to color with crayons, and keep a continuous dialogue going anytime she's in the car: "MommyLookMommyCar!Bird!MommyBook!Mommy!Shoes!Mommy?MOMMY?AHHHHHHH"


I wish she hadn't abandoned her binky at 3 months old.

Nicholas.

Oh, Nicholas.

This child of mine is all boy. He is a mere breath away from an untimely demise seemingly every second of the day-climbing on top of end tables and launching himself onto sofas, pushing chairs all over the dining room, standing on them, and attempting to turn light switches on and off, sticking his above-average-sized head into the small opening in the windmill obstacle on a miniature golf course and getting it stuck there.

He knows no fear.



Nicholas is also super strong. If I have him in my arms and he wants to walk, he will lunge downward, and sometimes he is very close to taking me to the ground with him.

The language edge is still his. He yammers up a storm all day: ("More egg please!" "I afraid!" "Grandma's here!") and unsurprisingly, his favorite word is still "no." Or "mine."


Luci has been telling me about her dirty diapers for a month or so now, and this past month, Nicholas is telling me too. We are nowhere near ready to try potty-training with these two, though, and are hoping that Isabella steps up to the plate and does it herself.


The theme of their birthday is Elmo and Abby. Interestingly, Sesame Street is about the only tv show they demonstrate the slightest interest in. Unlike Isabella, who at this age was all about tv during the limited amount of time we allowed her to watch it, the twins do not care about it at all.

I think tv would only distract them from continuing their path of destruction.


Luci

Likes: Control, bucking the system

Dislikes: Naps lasting longer than 1.5 hours, wearing her diaper

Nicholas

Likes: Wearing oven mitts and his sister's pink Elmo jacket, using his head as a weapon

Dislikes: Food delays

7 Responses to “Luci and Nicholas at 23 Months”

  1. # Blogger Mom24

    Okay, trite perhaps, but I truly cannot believe it's been almost 2 years. Wow. I still remember when they were born...shoot, I still remember when you thought there were twins, then one, then, nope, twins sure enough. :)

    You've come a long, long way.  

  2. # Blogger Andrew

    They're sure cute from a distance. :)  

  3. # Blogger Unknown

    I think my comment is the same whenever you post these monthly updates: I can't believe how BIG they are getting! Their phrases crack me up. LOL!  

  4. # Blogger Pregnantly Plump

    I love that she says Dude! Too cute. Glad they enjoy daycare.  

  5. # Blogger kenju

    They are just precious and so cute!!  

  6. # Blogger Jesser

    I always enjoy your kiddo updates. You do such a nice thorough job with them. Seems like you remember tons!! I am happy that things seem to be getting a smidge easier with them and SO glad they like the gym daycare (we just lost ours and I am SO SO sad still). It is so fun to see your twin gender differences too. Nicholas and Ben seem to have a lot in common. ;)

    Thanks for sharing as always.  

  7. # Blogger tracey.becker1@gmail.com

    The updates are such a gift to yourself and your kids. I so wish I had done it online for my babies...  

Post a Comment

Quick Snapshot:

  • 34-year-old writer and
    mother to a daughter
    born in August 2006 following
    IVF and girl/boy twins born in October 2008 following FET. Come along as I document the search for my lost intellect. It's a bumpy ride. Consider yourself warned.

  • 100 Things About Me
  • My Blogger Profile
  • Send Me an E-mail

  • "All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware." -Martin Buber

Inside My Suitcase:





Off the Beaten Path:

    XML

    Powered by Blogger

    Design: Lisanne, based on a template by Gecko and Fly