It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year

The self-indulgent pity-party of last week is over. Thanks to everyone who emailed, commented, and posted on my Facebook wall last week about the half-marathon that wasn't. I can't tell you how much your support means to me. Well, I could, but then I would dissolve once again into a pile of snot and tears, and Lord knows I spent all last week doing that and I'm out of tissues.

I have completed two of my three sessions of electrical stimulation and ART therapy with my chiropractor. Tomorrow is my last one, after which he told me he wants me to go for a run - he's that confident that I will feel good enough to do it. I am hesitant. He's a marathoner and an Iron Man finisher. He says calf strains are common and fixable. But I've had pain for over a month now, and I'm hesitant to believe him. We'll see.

Now it's time to talk preschool.

Yesterday was Isabella's first day back. It was just a half-day (her first full, three-hour day is today). She's attending preschool four afternoons a week, Monday-Thursday, from 12:30-3:30. She was so excited to go back.

It made me a little sad to see that her entire class, except for Isabella and one other boy, were together in the three-mornings-a-week program. Isabella's class last year was awesome. Great kids and wonderful parents. She loved her classmates, and one little boy in particular, with whom she shared her Thomas the Train magazines. She made a few comments about her former classmates, and asked whether they would be with her in her new program. Fortunately, one boy from her class last year is in her current afternoon program, which made it more comfortable for her.

When I dropped her off (oh, how I love you, outside drop-off and pick-up, which means I no longer have to load the twins into the stroller and shove the thing through the winter's snow and slush to take Isabella inside the building - pick-up was always outside), she took off into the playground without even saying goodbye.

I am so happy she loves school. It is structure and time for herself that she really needs. The twins require so much of me, and the three of them are almost always together. This belongs completely to Isabella, and she just thrives in preschool, "where mothers who don't want to watch their children dump them off" (TM: My Grandma).

Her program this year is modeled after pre-K (my district, and most suburban districts in my area do not have pre-K), and all the parents that I've spoken to whose children have been through Isabella's current program have told me that their children are so well prepared for Kindergarten after "graduating."

Considering that last week, Isabella told me that I should sell Nicholas in a garage sale, it was no surprise that her goodbye to her brother and sister was heavy on the short and light on the sweet.

T-minus 365 days until the hellcats start three-mornings-a-week preschool. It will be an expense we cannot really afford, but by God, I don't care if I have to sell platelets or a vital organ to pay tuition. They're going.

And one year from now, this one's headed to Kindergarten.

5 Responses to “It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year”

  1. # Blogger Jeni

    That cracks me up that she said you need to sell him in a garage sale. Skyler, a month or so back, was on a kick that he wanted to go to the hospital. I had no idea why until finally one night he said that we need to take Mason back to the hospital, where he came from. Ah ha.  

  2. # Anonymous Ness at Drovers Run

    I love the 'back to school' time too - only ours takes place at the end of January - as the school year runs Jan-Dec. I can hardly believe that Isabella starts Kindergarten in a year. The time has seriously flown. I had a good chuckle at the T-minus 365 days and counting for the twins comment too. Heh. Will be good for them to be out without you too!

    Next year, my hours get a bit worse than this year - since my little one goes to a new preschool (as opposed to his current childcare set up) and their hours are from 8-12:15. But it's five days a week, so I'm not going to complain. Then it makes sense for me to fetch the older one right after - as his school comes out at 12h45. So my work is going to have to be condensed into that four hour slot - and possibly to during an afternoon nap set up (here's hoping!). As it is, I'm kind of banking on it only being for 6 months - because god/universe willing we'll be moving overseas by July-ish.  

  3. # Blogger Mom24

    Yay! I know she'll have a wonderful time and make new friends in no time.

    Sending the twins to preschool will be worth every penny...and then some.

    I hope things go well on your run tomorrow. It's hard for me to believe it will work too, but he's the experienced one, right? Let us know.

    Thinking of you my friend. Hope your heart's healing.  

  4. # Blogger kenju

    She's just darling!!  

  5. # Blogger Holly

    Aw, I'm so sorry you missed the half-marathon. I know you worked so hard toward that. I hope your first run after the injury goes well.

    We heart preschool here too and YES! I love the drop-off/pick-up line, which my son's old school last year didn't have.  

Post a Comment

Quick Snapshot:

  • 34-year-old writer and
    mother to a daughter
    born in August 2006 following
    IVF and girl/boy twins born in October 2008 following FET. Come along as I document the search for my lost intellect. It's a bumpy ride. Consider yourself warned.

  • 100 Things About Me
  • My Blogger Profile
  • Send Me an E-mail

  • "All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware." -Martin Buber

Inside My Suitcase:





Off the Beaten Path:

    XML

    Powered by Blogger

    Design: Lisanne, based on a template by Gecko and Fly