What the Stork Brought

The stork, dressed up like a Fed-Ex man for Halloween, arrived at my house yesterday morning and dropped off a bundle of joy! Inside the bundle was a baby-making kit. And no, it didn't contain scented candles, 500 thread count Egyptian cotton sheets, whipped cream, and Al Green's greatest hits. Nope, my bundle o' joy contained my IVF drugs, enough needles and syringes to make a heroin addict cry tears of happiness, and a red Haz-Maz container for me to safely dispose of said needles.

In one way, I consider myself quite lucky. I'm able to save almost $2,500 off the IVF cycle's cost because I have left over fertility injection shots from previous treatment cycles. These cycles consisted of me injecting myself nightly with the fertility drugs, and then having inseminations once my eggs were ready to go. I had two of these cycles, and obviously both failed, but I had extra medication left over. And, since these weren't IVF cycles, my insurance company paid for the drugs in full. However, in my state, insurance companies won't cover one red cent of the EXACT SAME DRUGS if they're being used in an IVF cycle. But in this case, I have the last laugh. But I know many other couples aren't as lucky.

If this cycle works for me, and I have extra fertility medication left over, I'm going to ask my doctor if there is a way to donate the extra to another couple going through IVF. My husband and I aren't wealthy. This IVF cycle is draining quite a bit of our savings. I'm working two jobs just to pay for it. But I know compared to others, who must take out loans, or even worse, charge their cycles on a credit card, we're quite wealthy indeed. And if I can help out one of these couples in even a small way, I'll do it in a heartbeat.

So for now, some of my drugs are sitting in the refrigerator next to the yogurt. Others are still in a box in the spare bedroom. We have our "teaching appointment" with my doctor on Tuesday afternoon, where they will tell me when to swallow or inject each drug and how often to do so. Injections start next week. Egg retrieval could take place as soon as one month from today. And I could possibly receive a far more exciting stork delivery come August of next year.

5 Responses to “What the Stork Brought”

  1. # Blogger Marie

    Fingers crossed!!!!!  

  2. # Blogger eat stuff

    I am sooo excited for you, and all my good wishes and baby making thoughts will be directd straight at you!  

  3. # Anonymous Anonymous

    Oh they are expensive, aren't they? I'm so glad that here in the UK they charge us a lot less. Not sure quite how that works, but...have you tried the online pharmacies? Many of the bloggers I read use Freedom Drug. Perhaps you already did.

    Good luck, in any case.  

  4. # Blogger Kristi

    Marie, Cara, Clare-Thank you!

    Thalia-Thanks for visiting my blog. I have heard that in other countries, these drugs are a whole lot cheaper. I've never heard of Freedom Drug, but I'll check it out. Thanks for the tip.

    Alisha-Thanks!  

  5. # Anonymous Anonymous

    Best regards from NY! » »  

Post a Comment

Quick Snapshot:

  • 34-year-old writer and
    mother to a daughter
    born in August 2006 following
    IVF and girl/boy twins born in October 2008 following FET. Come along as I document the search for my lost intellect. It's a bumpy ride. Consider yourself warned.

  • 100 Things About Me
  • My Blogger Profile
  • Send Me an E-mail

  • "All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware." -Martin Buber

Inside My Suitcase:





Off the Beaten Path:

    XML

    Powered by Blogger

    Design: Lisanne, based on a template by Gecko and Fly