The IVF Journey Begins

My fertility doctor called me today with the results of my bloodtest this morning. All systems are a go. My six-week IVF cycle starts today.

It begins with three weeks of the birth control pill. Ironic, isn't it, given what we're trying to accomplish here? But during the last two weeks of taking the pill, I'll inject myself with Lupron, a drug that will "shut down" my body's normal monthly hormones that cause ovulation. Doing so will bring my hormones under the complete control of my doctor.

Once I finish the three-week pill cycle, I'll continue the Lupron for another week or so while I also begin injecting a second drug, Gonal-F. This drug, which I've taken before during previous fertility treatments, will cause me to produce many (hopefully) mature eggs. I'll stop the Lupron injections, and then continue the fertility injections until my eggs are ready. (Over-easy? Sunny-side up?) At that point, I'll go under general anesthesia, and they'll remove my eggs. My husband will provide his "sample." Then they'll mix the two, and (fingers-crossed) at least three or four will fertilize. This will give us one shot at a successful cycle. If more fertilize, they'll freeze the rest, and I can do a "frozen cycle" later on, with half the success rate of a "fresh" cycle. But I digress.

They'll implant in me up to four embryos, either three or five days after they remove my eggs. The exact day is determined by how well the embryos are developing. At this point, I'll begin injecting myself with a third drug, progesterone, to create a "hospitable environment" in my uterus for the embryos to implant. And two weeks after the embryos are implanted, I'll know.

If this is meant to work for me, then I am hoping for twins. My husband and I want two children. Given the emotional toll this process of trying to have a child has taken on us, it would be nice to only have to endure this once.

I am excited. I am nervous. But most of all, back from the place where I had long ago buried it, I have rediscovered hope. I haven't had a hopeful feeling about this process in months. I'm going to hold on to it for as long as I can.

9 Responses to “The IVF Journey Begins”

  1. # Blogger Ramona

    Oh Kristi, Good Luck!!!
    I'll have my fingers, toes and eyes crossed for you that it'll work! I know what a long haul it can be, and I hope this journey will have a very quick and happy ending for you.  

  2. # Blogger Dawn

    Good luck! I wish all the best for you and your husband. I think that there is nothing else quite like having kids. I will definitely be sending some good thoughts your way!  

  3. # Anonymous Anonymous

    Hope is a good, good thing. I'm so glad you've found it again. Good luck to you and your husband. You guys will never be far from my thoughts in the coming weeks.

    Amy  

  4. # Blogger Marie

    I'm thinking of you two Kristi, and sending lots of prayers and hugs your way!  

  5. # Anonymous Anonymous

    Woohoo! I hope you get twins. I can see you (this time around) being successful... As an incentive to conceive, my dear, if you do it this time, you'll get a visit from me... hee hee hee... we may find ourselves seeing each other for major events only... ha ha ha...

    Good luck...  

  6. # Blogger Kristi

    Kross-Eyed Kitty: Thank you. I do too.

    Socal Foodie: I will take all the good thoughts you'll send me!

    Amy: Yes, I've realized I need to have hope of some kind to get through these weeks. I hope I can hang on to it too.

    Marie: Thank you!

    Caryl: I hope for a pre-holiday celebration too.

    Veronica: LOL. I hope you'll still come to see me, even if it doesn't work!

    Alisha: Thank you!  

  7. # Blogger Geekwif

    I'll be praying that this will be successful for you and that you will finally have the children you so long for. If it's any encouragement, a friend of mine just gave birth to beautiful twins (a boy and a girl) after what I think was the same procedure. They are healthy and happy and she and her husband finally have the family they wanted. I wish the same for you.  

  8. # Blogger Kristi

    Geekwif-I love readings stories of people who have gone through IVF and had a successful outcome. Thank you for sharing the story of your friend.  

  9. # Anonymous Anonymous

    What a great site »  

Post a Comment

Quick Snapshot:

  • 34-year-old writer and
    mother to a daughter
    born in August 2006 following
    IVF and girl/boy twins born in October 2008 following FET. Come along as I document the search for my lost intellect. It's a bumpy ride. Consider yourself warned.

  • 100 Things About Me
  • My Blogger Profile
  • Send Me an E-mail

  • "All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware." -Martin Buber

Inside My Suitcase:





Off the Beaten Path:

    XML

    Powered by Blogger

    Design: Lisanne, based on a template by Gecko and Fly