Operation Lubrication: The Results

About a week ago, I blogged about the havoc some very hungry and destructive squirrels where wrecking on the pumpkins in my neighborhood.

My sister, who just turned 30 and is therefore now all wise and such, suggested coating the pumpkins with petroleum jelly. Apparently, squirrels have an aversion to the stuff.

We followed her advise, in a desperate attempt to save enough of our pumpkins so that we could carve some semblance of a face on each of the two larger ones.

Here are the results one week post-lubrication.

The hubs' pumpkin, pre-lube:


The hubs' pumpkin, post-lube:


And my pumpkin, pre-lube:
My pumpkin, post-lube:


Apparently, squirrels actually prefer their vegetables sauteed in Vaseline.

You'll notice, however, that the squirrels decided to lay off Isabella's pumpkin, which is essentially unchanged from last week. I think they're running scared. I know I'm terrified of this face. So, clearly, are they.

7 Responses to “Operation Lubrication: The Results”

  1. # Blogger kenju

    Love the glasses!  

  2. # Blogger Marie

    Tres chic!

    Ours has been nibbled too. I noticed one of my neighbor's has been massacred. It was hard to not gawk at it when I walked up to her door.  

  3. # Anonymous Anonymous

    HAHAHAHAHA!! I seriously laughed out loud at the picture of Isabella. She means business!  

  4. # Blogger Damselfly

    Are babies doing the Bono look now? I really need to know so I can make sure Fly stays hip.

    Hee hee! So cute.

    I'm sorry about your pumpkins.  

  5. # Blogger sher

    As a squirrel rehabber, I found this hilarious! Frankly, I don't think Vasaline would stop the little buggers. I do know that they don't like certain tastes, like bitter and hot. Some birders sprinkle cayenne pepper on their bird seed. The birds can't taste the hot flavor--but most squirrels do. SOOOOO...I guess you could coat them with tobasco???

    Maybe not! I think this will become a continuing saga.  

  6. # Blogger Laura McIntyre

    LOL Toddlers are scary and it seems even the animals know not to mess with them  

  7. # Blogger Kristi

    Judy-thanks! They actually belonged to the daughter of one of our friends who came with us to the pumpkin patch that day.

    Marie-yeah, that scene is all over my neighborhood.

    Melissa-She often does. ;)

    Damselfly-LOL. I always try to keep Isabella on the cutting edge of kiddie couture so yes, get some glasses for Fly.

    Sher-Funny you mention hot stuff. Our neighbors tried sprinkling cayenne pepper around and on their pumpkins, and the squirrels ate right through it!

    Laura-So true!  

Post a Comment

Quick Snapshot:

  • 34-year-old writer and
    mother to a daughter
    born in August 2006 following
    IVF and girl/boy twins born in October 2008 following FET. Come along as I document the search for my lost intellect. It's a bumpy ride. Consider yourself warned.

  • 100 Things About Me
  • My Blogger Profile
  • Send Me an E-mail

  • "All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware." -Martin Buber

Inside My Suitcase:





Off the Beaten Path:

    XML

    Powered by Blogger

    Design: Lisanne, based on a template by Gecko and Fly